1756-ENBT firmware upgrade

epicnote

Hi guys,

I have a task to upgrade a firmware for all the
module in a redundancy system. In my redundant chassis has at slot 0 1756-L61, slot 1 and 2 1756-CNBR/E, slot 3 1756-ENBT and slot 4, 5 is 1857-SRM. I am going to flash each modules firmware at both chassis as per 16.057 Firmware Bundle kit release notes. There is a procedure in that release notes to flash the module without need to turn off the chassis.

My question now, can i use ethernet to flash each modules firmware including the 1756-ENBT? How to flash 1756-ENBT firmware via ethernet? If im not mistaken once we flash the ENBT module it will erase thr IP address of the module and loss it communication. Or do i need to flash thr ENBT via serial comm at L61 controller?

Thanks in advance

This is just a guess, and might be wrong... flashing the firmware of an ENBT should not change the port configuration data, but knowing A-B it almost certainly will do.

All is not lost, however, if flashing the ENBT erases the port configuration, you can put it back as it was by using RS232 connection on the L61 controller (well that is assuming it hasn't been "hijacked" by the application). RSLinx can browse across the backplane to restore the port to its original settings.

Probably safest to flash the L61 controller first, and before you download an application to it, you absolutely know that its RS232 port will allow you access to the ENBT across the backplane.

Edit: further thoughts, the ENBT should be the very LAST module you flash upgrade. You do NOT want to be flashing modules via the serial port on the controller.

Another Edit : flashing the ENBT can be done via the Ethernet, it is at the end, when the module reboots, that you will probably lose communication to it, but the job is then done, and a port reconfiguration will most likely be needed.

Last edited: