Recommend me a new sensor

dylantzips

My plant currently has around 6 sensors that they are planning to phase out. These laser sensors are currently being used to detect wheels on a conveyor and are dependent on reflective tape. The sensors are used to communicate with a robot that hangs the wheels. They want the new sensors to not rely on any reflective surfaces. The new sensor should give a discrete input when the wheel is present.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, as well as any other ideas that you may have!

Last edited:
I do not know the exact distance at this time but it is a very short distance.

"a very short distance" is pretty arbitrary. If you're assembling wheels on a model train, "a very short distance" might mean 1-2mm. If you're assembling wheels on mining equipment, "a very short distance" might be 1-2 feet. You'd need very different sensors to detect the two different scenarios. Can you be a little more specific?

Ok, so I got some measurements:

Rail to rail of the conveyor is 292mm

The conveyor belt itself has a width of ~ 184mm

The wheels we run are either 6" or 8" in diameter.

I was thinking of going the route of the diffuse sensors with background suppression. Could someone find me the best fit for this application?

Thanks!

You are right @ASF, I should have been more specific. I have added measurements. Please check them out!

Last edited: