OT: Vision systems?

LoganB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been tasked with a cost reduction assignment involving eliminating manual sorting of plastic injected pieces for automobile window regulators. The company currently uses proxes to detect if the metal inserts are loaded into the robot tool, then loads the inserts into the mold.

So detecting if the inserts are present is not a problem. They are having an issue detecting if the inserts are oriented correctly, if they are the right size inserts (M6 and M5 are both used in the same part, so it's not uncommon for an operator to load the wrong size in the feeder bowl), or if there is flash covering the insert hole.

I've been out of the vision game for quite a long time. Does anyone have any favorites when it comes to the packages being offered to do this sort of inspection now adays?

Extra credit: Does anyone believe that a vision system is an incorrect way to tackle this problem and have any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance!!

I think if I were you I'd probably reach out to your local Cognex rep and see what they can offer. Their pattern match tool is pretty damn awesome, and I find their systems to just work well in general.

I believe I've seen them used in some vision guided applications before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBhsIrnh6XQ

+1 Cognex

BUT !
everything depends on the following.
camera resolution.
how far you are from the part.
color of insert
color if plastic.
LIGHTING !!
how much variation you can have and tolerate.
Please note that you WILL have some adjustments to make during production to get things right.

james

+1 Cognex

LIGHTING !!
how much variation you can have and tolerate.
Please note that you WILL have some adjustments to make during production to get things right.

james

James has it right.
Proper lens/lighting is 90% of what makes a vision system accurate and reliable. Get Cognex/Keyence to look at your application, most of the time they are happy to take some parts and rig up a demo.

Even if the rep says lighting wont matter, don't trust them, just nod and agree then once they leave build something to block unwanted light around your part.

I've been told with a newer type of vision system lighting isn't as important.
Keyence makes a new camera that takes (6 i believe) different pictures in different light spectrums and stitches them together. It does make lighting from other sources not as bad, but it can still cause issues.

Even if the rep says lighting wont matter, don't trust them, just nod and agree then once they leave build something to block unwanted light around your part.

Accurate. My main reason to call them is so that they can consult on that portion.

please be aware of one VERY important detail.

when they take the demo parts to their facility, they will set the unit up in their test lab with ideal lighting. they will clean the parts and make things work and give you a good feeling so you buy their product.
BUT!
when you install the product, it's not ideal lighting, the parts are dirty, greasy, oily parts in a production environment. you then ask the vendor why it don't work.
you need to buy the correct lighting, different lens - we didn't know you were that close / far away.
come in and help us, you need to buy tech support so we can set it up for you.
we need training - you need to buy training as well.

carry them to the production line if possible and have them see what you are doing, where the camera is to be located, and actual lighting. put the setup details, installation, training, tech support in the po to the vendor.

WARNING !!
you will need a master of each part, no nicks, scratches, dings. a perfect part.
you will also need to keep each part inside an insulated container so the part does NOT get altered. this is your master programming pattern you go by.

james

Last edited:
James makes a great point and has probably dealt with machine vision vendors quite a bit. Where I work we do a wide variety of insert molding. In the past I was easily convinced by a sales guy that would show up with his latest product and do a slick demo and then produce a quote within an hour. Weeks later I would be pulling my hair out trying to make the system work consistently.
The first lesson I learned that no two lots of inserts are identical. No matter what the insert that you are loading into the mold will vary slightly over time. Sometimes the finish will have a slight variance between lots. The second lesson that I learned was that the ambient light will change depending on the day. This could possibly be affected by some one moving the overhead crane to put in a new mold on an adjacent press, or even someone setting up an illuminated rework station in close proximity to the mold.
We currently utilize Keyence vision for the majority of our insert applications, and Cognex for the majority of our part inspections. What ever you decide it is important to insure that your team is properly trained. It is easy for someone with little experience to open up the limits and crash an expensive mold. Whenever possible we document any changes between shifts, and run tests on the systems on a regular basis to insure that they will not allow us to load a misaligned insert.

Omron saved a company I worked for all recalls. Six Cameras. Product position was critical.

Have not used IFM vision but a lot of there others products have been up to the task.