DeviceNet Linx problem

R_C

I am using a ControlLogix with a DeviceNet scanner card and multiple nodes on the devicenet. I just got a new laptop and was making sure every thing works.

The problem that I’m having is when I go online using Ethernet I can only drill down to the port on the scanner card and none of the nodes show up. I can then take my old laptop go online and drill down and see all of the nodes. Both laptops have the exact same software and all of the EDS’s are current for Linx. I talked to Rockwell and they suggested I reinstall Linx, I did this and still have the same problem. I called Rockwell back and now they are suggesting that I format my hard drive and reinstall everything.

I really don’t want to begin the long process of installing everything again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've had this sort of thing happen to me a few times, and never completely got to the bottom of it.

Try using the older AB_ETH driver instead of the EtherNet/IP driver to connect to the ControlLogix system. I once had a computer on which the old driver worked fine, but the new driver wouldn't drill down to the DeviceNet network.

Also, double-check to be sure that you have the right EDS file registered for the 1756-DNB module. If you don't have the correct EDS, RSLinx will know it's a 1756-DNB, but it won't know that it has a DeviceNet port attached (it's a subtle thing, but possible).

Obviously, because your other PC can browse through this setup, there isn't anything wrong with the DeviceNet network connection and wiring itself.

Alaric said:
Have you tried running RSNetworx for DeviceNet?
Im using RSNetworx for Devicenet and it just times out after I select the Online Path.

RBEYER said:
what OS are you running in the old laptop vs the new???
XP SP2 on both laptops

Ken Roach said:
I've had this sort of thing happen to me a few times, and never completely got to the bottom of it.

Try using the older AB_ETH driver instead of the EtherNet/IP driver to connect to the ControlLogix system. I once had a computer on which the old driver worked fine, but the new driver wouldn't drill down to the DeviceNet network.

Also, double-check to be sure that you have the right EDS file registered for the 1756-DNB module. If you don't have the correct EDS, RSLinx will know it's a 1756-DNB, but it won't know that it has a DeviceNet port attached (it's a subtle thing, but possible).

Obviously, because your other PC can browse through this setup, there isn't anything wrong with the DeviceNet network connection and wiring itself.

Ive tried both drivers with no luck. I have the same EDS files on both computers. Its really strange If I go through RSWho with my new computer and drill down to the scanner card port Linx says its Browsing Network and only shows the scanner card and no devicenet nodes. If i used my old computer when I drill down to the scanner port it scrolls though the nodes saying Node 1 not found, Node 2 found, etc...

try re booting the new computer. I have had problems with Linx and Dnet where you can re boot and it will see the nodes.

I'm not sure why, but lately I've been able to fix all manner of RSLinx difficulties by deleting the RSLinx "Harmony" files. If all other suggestions fail to work, perform the following:
1) Shut down RSLinx
2) In Windows Explorer, go to Program Files>Rockwell Software>RSCommon. Find the Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc files.
3) Delete the files.
4) Re-start RSLinx and see if you can see all of your nodes.

Last edited:
mgvol said:
I'm not sure why, but lately I've been able to fix all manner of RSLinx difficulties by deleting the RSLinx "Harmony" files. If all other suggestions fail to work, perform the following:
1) Shut down RSLinx
2) In Windows Explorer, go to Program Files>Rockwell Software>RSCommon. Find the Harmony.rsh and Harmony.hrc files.
3) Delete the files.
4) Re-start RSLinx and see if you can see all of your nodes.
This was actually the first thing that Rockwell tech support had me do, and I still was not able to see the individual DeviceNet nodes.

After formatting my hard drive and reinstalling all of the Rockwell software I am now able to drill down and see each individual DeviceNet nodes.

Thanks for all of the help.