How to get started in PLC.

MrNobody

Hi,
I'm now working in HMI/CIM line using InTouch (Wonderware).
I know virtually nothing about PLC (but am now reading the materials on this website). My goal is to pick up PLC as a hobby and hopefully able to expand my career into PLC programming line in 2 years time..

How do I start..? What are the equipments I need to buy..? What brand of PLC..? Omron..? Mitsubishi..? As for books, anybody know of a good PLC books with lots of step by step examples...? Thats because I learn better from examples..

Please advice on the path i need to take.. Thank you very much..

READ READ and READ... then choose a PLC with the features you need/want, then buy a used PLC (or new if you have them money) and explore... then READ READ and just don't forget to read :)

And you can always ask questions if you get stuck... someone will help you out

You may also want to buy the PLC that is hooked to your HMI now??

How do I start..? What are the equipments I need to buy..? What brand of PLC..? Omron..? Mitsubishi..?
That depends entirely on the job you're after.If you were over here in Europe, I would suggest Siemens S7, except if you were in France. Then I would suggest Telemecanique. If you were over in America, I would suggest Allen-Bradley. At your place, I don't really know: maybe Omron, maybe Mitsubishi, maybe even something completetly different. As I said: it all depends on the job you're trying to get.

Kind regards,

If you are just wanting to learn and play and got a little money to spend you can buy complete starter packs from a few of the Cheaper PLC makers. Starter kit can include the cable, software, PLC and even some a small HMI. I would do that to get my feet wet then go on to getting something you will stay with. I would stay away from Allen Bradley stuff (cost and support $$$). Omron and mitsubishi as well as GE are all good but one little one that I am liking more and more is the Direct Logic PLCs. When I came to this plant we had about 15 different types of PLCs. Thats a lot of cables and software packages to have to keep up with. Decide what it is you want your PLC to do both now and future. Then decide. For me, we have a small plant and it just makes better since to stay with something simple both for the guys to work on and up keep.

Thanks for the response..
Yeah.. I'm reading on PLC when i have the time..

Previously, I program microcontrollers primarily Microchip PIC using C language.. What i realise is that, in the market, there aro so many different languages to program PIC with (assembly, basic, C) and within each language, there are few compilers to choose from. That is only for PIC brand microcontrollers. If use other brands microcontroller then the way of programming is slightly different as in syntax etc.

So, if i choose microcontroller of brand A and learn it, and later on feel that microcontroller A doesn't perform according to my requirements and then switch to microcontroller of brand B, i will then have to relearn alot of things relating to architechture, syntax compilers etc.. So switching between different microcontrollers is a real hassle without good books, resource, sample codes etc..

Will i face similar situation if for example i learn to program in OMRON PLC and later on switch to Mitsubishi.. In ladder 'language' programming, is there such thing as 'syntax'. If there is, then is there any major difference between say OMRON PLC's syntax and Mitsubishi PLC's syntax etc..? If lets say, i started learning programming using cheap PLC with simple architechture and later on plan to move to a more powerful PLC with a complex architechture, will I have to relearn alot of things..?

If lets say i select Mitsubishi PLC (since the plant i'm in uses that), how much would a starter pack cost..? What model of Mitsubishi PLC should I choose to get started with..? Is there a book specifically for Mitsubishi PLC which will give me a good foundation/background and at the same time have good sample 'code'/examples so that it is easier for a total newbie to learn follow..?

I know I have asked alot of questions.. I'm sorry.. I'm jst soo afraid of starting something and then found out that that thing that I've learned cannot be used and i have to spend more time to learn a new thing.. If that happens, then it would be a real waste of time and resource..

I really thank you for reading this long post and for any inputs you can add to make this PLC journey a more secure and peaceful one..

Thank you and thank you..

I have programed several different PLC brands. Even Mitsubishi, Omron and Yaskawa. As I said before I also like the little Direct Logic PLC now for my company and also have a few IDEC PLCs in the plant. What I think you will find is that just like in "C" or basic there are several ways you can code the same thing. In the PLC world if you learn one you can carry most of that over to the next one. The difference's are in the canned functions and then just the name usually if that. All will have most main functions but the way they are handled may be a bit different. Some will scan a bit different but most will be the same. One big one that is different is Concept for Modicon. It is a graphical program kind of like LabView if you have ever used it. If I was you I would jump in and not think much about it except for cost. Nothing you learn will be lost with any you choose.