Steps toward my first real world PLC project (Conveyor system)

backendcode

Good Morning Everyone,
I am entry level PLC programmer and this is going to be my first PLC project at my company. I would like to thank you for this forum and people who helped me to gain some knowledge. I need few things to ask or correct me if I am wrong to finish this project.

Today, we just got the control panel installed and electrical guy power up the panel and wired prox and motor to terminal block and contractors (With motor overload). There is brand new PLC in the control panel and I want to know the steps I am going to follow as a PLC programmer.

1. We are using compact logix L24ER-QB1B processor and it will factory flash with firmware 1.xx version and first thing I am going to do is assigning an IP address to my PLC and connect through my PC.

2. Then I will update the firmware according to my rslogix 5k software and as I am using version 20.04 so I will be flashing my PLC processor with the same version. I get that version compatibility from AB website and link is
below
https://ibb.co/eku1dk

quick question: Should I use USB or Ethernet/IP driver to flash the firmware? Which one would you guys recommend, I never flashed any PLC before but I will be using AB manual to follow the steps but most important thing I know about flashing a firmware never breaks the communication otherwise I will brick my PLC

3. Now, I have processor flashed with version 20.04 and I have PLC program which is also v20.04, I can get online and download the program and troubleshoot a little bit to make conveyor system work how I want it.

Is there any important step I am missing here? Please tell me I would really appreciate that!

Thank you,

Pretty much as you describe, there is no secret way. For an out of the box new CPU, I just use the USB, its so much easier.

Set the IP in Linx and then just go online in RS Logix and update the firmware and download.

You can do it all from the USB.

You have the basic steps down. On the newer Control/Compact Logix processors with the built in USB port, there is not much difference between using USB and the network connection. On the old processors with the RS232 serial port, it would take FOREVER to flash over it. I usually use the USB serial port to connect to the processor the first time and set the IP address via RSLinx. Corporate IT group policy firewall rules on my laptop prevent BootP from working correctly most of the time, so I have given up on that and use the USB port.

You have the basic steps down. On the newer Control/Compact Logix processors with the built-in USB port, there is not much difference between using USB and the network connection. On the old processors with the RS232 serial port, it would take FOREVER to flash over it. I usually use the USB serial port to connect tot he processor the first time and set the IP address via RSLinx. Corporate IT group policy firewall rules on my laptop prevent BootP from working correctly most of the time, so I have given up on that and use the USB port.

Helliana,

So I will use USB cable to connect with my PLC for the first time and then I can set the IP address of my processor for the first time and I will make sure it's static so won't change if the power goes down. Once I have my IP assigned, either I can leave it connected on USB or connect with ethernet/IP. Personally, I would like to connect with ethernet/IP driver because the wire could be pretty long and I can move my laptop a little bit if I have to. Because the A to B USB cable I have is not very long enough to move around.

Thanks for the input though!

Best,

+1 for USB. I always use USB for the new hardware because it's plug in and go. Makes the whole process easier.

Also, congrats on landing the position (y)🍻

Thank you LoganB, I havent started working as a junior Control engineer yet. The interview went pretty good but still waiting for their reply. I am doing this project at my current workplace! But thanks anyways

Quick question about USB connection, I agree with you USB is pretty easy but I was reading AB manual and they mentioned don't remove the USB cable while the processor is powered up. Is that true?

Also, I was thinking to leave the cable in the processor all the time and whenever I have to make any change or get online, just take my laptop and connect another side of the cable to the laptop and that's it.

What would you recommend?

Thanks
🍻

I've personally removed the USB cable while the PLC was powered up many times and never had an issue... I think the warning you are referring to is an arc warning for hazardous areas. It says that removing any cable while the controller is under power could cause an arc which could theoretically cause an explosion if you were in an area with flammable vapors.

I don't believe there is any inherent danger to the controller itself to remove the USB cable while powered, as long as you aren't in the process of downloading/uploading or anything like that.

As far as leaving the cable plugged into the processor while you aren't using it, as long as the cable is stored safely and not putting too much stress on the connector (from hanging with too much of the cable off the ground for example) you should be fine!

USB flashing is virtually impossible...

Hi,

Just a quick "did you know" on using the USB port to flash the firmware for the newer Logix controllers...

Many users are leveraging virtualization to segregate the many software configurations that they are required to use. However, to flash a Logix controller via USB, both ControlFlash and RSLinx Classic, running the USB/VBP driver, must be running on the Host system and not in a virtual session, such as VMware. You can only flash controllers while running ControlFlash and RSLinx Classic in a virtual session with an Ethernet driver.

Once flashed, you can then use a USB driver and cable from within a virtual session to connect to the controller for download/upload and online programming, etc.

It's just a heads up for those already using USB as their go-to controller flashing method. You might find if you're ever attempting a virtualized Logix controller flash that your tried and trusted USB won't be so tried or trustworthy.

Rrgards,
George

Hi,

Just a quick "did you know" on using the USB port to flash the firmware for the newer Logix controllers...

Many users are leveraging virtualization to segregate the many software configurations that they are required to use. However, to flash a Logix controller via USB, both ControlFlash and RSLinx Classic, running the USB/VBP driver, must be running on the Host system and not in a virtual session, such as VMware. You can only flash controllers while running ControlFlash and RSLinx Classic in a virtual session with an Ethernet driver.

Once flashed, you can then use a USB driver and cable from within a virtual session to connect to the controller for download/upload and online programming, etc.

It's just a heads up for those already using USB as their go-to controller flashing method. You might find if you're ever attempting a virtualized Logix controller flash that your tried and trusted USB won't be so tried or trustworthy.

Rrgards,
George

George, are you sure about this? I just flashed a CompactLogix PLC in a virtual machine over USB with no issues.

Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Pro in VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.
RSLinx 3.90
1769-L30ER to v24.013.16
ControFLASH 12.01.00

Hi,

Rrgards,
George

Thats not the case, at least with us anyway. We all have AB VM's and have no problem flashing.