Need help figuring out Device Name

alive15

Good afternoon to all,

I have a machine that sends a 24 VDC signal out after cycle complete. This signal goes to the robot digitial I/O module. However the signal only stays on for 2 seconds. The robot may or may not be waiting to see the signal, so I need a way to maintain this 24 V.

Unfortunately, the program from the machine does not allow for the 24 V to be latched in. There is no PLC controlling it either.

Is there a device out there that acts similar to the latch instruction like OTL from RS Logix?

Thanks, please let me know if any more information is required.

I do not believe there is a way for the robot to latch the cycle complete signal either. It's a Fanuc M-70ic/50 Robot with a R-30iA controller. If there is a way to latch it through the robot program, let me know.

what exactly is the program?

also, an off delay timer can be had for around $25-30 USD

I'm unsure myself, the program runs a CNC machine.

I would like to keep the signal on as long as possible until the start of the next cycle, so does the off delay timer accept inputs that can turn off the 24 VDC signal for cycle complete?

If they stop the cell for whatever reason, the signal could go away after how many ever seconds I set it to. Then the robot will never see the cycle complete signal in that case.

Like Mickey suggested, a pulse stretcher should work.

Another method would be for your output to energize a relay which would seal itself in until an output from the robot would open it (you would have to add this). That way the interlock would remain present until the robot was ready to act upon it.

But your robot should allow you to set a memory bit in the controller with your output, and the robot would look for it when it was ready, and then reset once it had acted upon it.

Hardware-wise, this approach would be cheaper than adding a relay, but would probably require programming from an integrator. The relay approach would be a simple matter of setting a DO bit to reset the relay after the robot had seen the interlock. Cheaper and simpler in the long run.

I don't think the pulse stretcher will work, if the robot comes to the machine faster and the pulse stretcher is still pulsing, it will crash the robot.

Rootboy, I want to pursue your idea further, how would I go about sealing the relay in? I'll look into the Robot Idea also, that may be the better option, but need to figure out how to seal the relay in.

Actually the real question is how do I unseal the relay; to seal it, I would take the output from the relay and use that as the input. I'm unsure if this would work, because I would be using 24 V from two separate power sources. It may work, I'll try it out. But how would I unseal this?

Thanks Jaden, this would definitely work if I used two relays.

I figured out how to turn on an internal bit on the robot, it's just the Digital Output. I'll be using that method for now.

Thank you to everyone who replied! Have a great weekend.