Rockwell Stratix Switch - No need for separate ENBT

ds7891

So I have a customer who has a large machine with a 16 port Stratix switch. They want to drop an Ethernet from the main plant to the Stratix switch, instead of a separate ENBT for data collection and machine monitoring. The machine has an EN2TR for it's devices.

The Plant is in a 10.1.1.x subnet.

The machine is on a 200.2.1.x subnet.

Usually, I drop a ENBT card into the control logic rack for the plant to connect to, but the customer's IT dept. insist that it is not needed.

In what way would the Stratix switch need to be configured to allow the same features/benefits of a 2nd ENBT? Vlan and NAT'ing?

I checked. The Stratix I got has the NAT license. Thinking of letting IT set it up.

From a standard practice, is it better to separate it via a separate ENBT or save the cost and use the Stratix?

I personally prefer going the separate ENBT route. Simple and straightforward.

I think it would be wise to look at the current ENBT's web page to get an idea of it's current utilization. It would be a bummer if mining data off of the existing ENBT pushed it over the edge of it's capacity. I would also check it after the data collection is in place.

The 2nd port on the ENT2R is to allow use in a DLR. I'm almost certain you cannot use it for a second address. Better check before committing to that path.

The 2nd port on the ENT2R is to allow use in a DLR. I'm almost certain you cannot use it for a second address. Better check before committing to that path.

I don't think he was suggesting that, at least that is not how I understood it. He was suggesting using the NAT capability of his stratix to allow access to the controller through the existing EN2TR. Or the other option would be to add a ENBT (less expensive than another EN2TR) to access the controller and leave the stratix out of it.

Dmroeder is correct.

The other thing I started thinking about. With the setup of the 2nd ENBT in the rack which is connected to the plant for segregation. Is it possible to reach a NON Allen Bradley device from the control logic rack (through the back plane)? In other words, can a NAT be setup in the ENBT to reach a random device connected to the machine network?

The reason, now that I'm thinking about it. The customer has an embedded panel PC to handle a particular process on this machine. I'm wondering if they want access to it. By stuffing a 2nd ENBT card in the rack for the plant, I don't think a NAT can be setup (right?). So by using the Stratix with NAT or vlan, they would be able to.

Can anyone confirm this?

As the gent above me says.

Keep IT out of the engineering set-up.

"This is what you need and this is what it costs, I can set it up for you in a morning"

Keep IT out of any engineering setup....

It stopped being engineering when someone outside of engineering required it to be done a different way.

The reason I say to have IT set it up is because you're no longer responsible for whatever they try to do.

It stopped being engineering when someone outside of engineering required it to be done a different way.

The reason I say to have IT set it up is because you're no longer responsible for whatever they try to do.

I agree with both views. But I also know that at 2 in the morning, it sure isn't an IT problem..