test the RSLogix500 code matches with PLC ??

leonlai

Hello everybody,

I'm new in PLC and I have a chance to hand on a PLC system; however, my Boss give me a Laptop with a folder of many PLC code and a system with micrologix 1500; I can connect them and make a communicate of PLC and Laptop;

However, I don't know what code in Laptop is the one the PLC is running and I dont want to overwrite the wrong code to PLC;

How can we test the code in PLC matches with the code in RSLogix 500 ????

Thanks

In RSLogix 500 under 'Tools' use the 'Compare' function. You can find differences in ladder logic or data tables. Differences in the data tables may be of less importance unless it is critical recipe information for example.

THanks for you quick reply,
I am on the PLC now, under the Tool is Compare, however it not available to click on may be because my RSlogix code is offline; But when I try to open one file code and click online; it pop up a "Going to Online Programming State" windows which has Seaching for Offline Image: No matching Found and has three option: "Cancel"; "Create New File" or "Browse"; SHould I click "create new file" ? will that overwrite the code in Micrologix ???

It's a RSLogix500 v 8.10 (CPR9), I just open the file that I suspect it would be the one in Micrologix 1500; It's not online yet; then I open the "compare" but it greyed out ! Dont wanna go online because afraid it will overwrite the Micrologix code

from what I read from rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/31854/1259762809.
r Comparetool to compare 2 offline code ??? any help ?

Open RSLogix. With no program go online and upload the existing program, save it under a new name, and then compare the two programs.

You can also check the Processor Name and see if that matches.
In RSLinx, you will see the name of the controller you're connected to, and you can compare that to the name in the program (Left side, "Controller", "Controller Properties")
That might help you weed out a few, or lead you in the right direction.

what different between download and upload ? is it download is from RSlogix to Micrologix / upload is from Micrologix to RSlogix ?

Thank you guys for helping;
In RSLinx I saw the Micrologix name is LS-25; that match with the name of one of the file I have. I just want to make sure and learn a new way to compare with the code in Micrologix

ANother problem is just pop up ! why when I go online and upload from RSLogix with no program first, it load the code and I see no description like the one I have in my laptop ? two files are the same; one in my laptop (*.RSS) has description like ON_OFF_ALARM while the one I go online has no description ????????

Very few PLCs store descriptions, comments, and similar documenttation in the PLC. That is part of the logic files on the PC hard disc.

The compare function does not compare the documentation - only the logic.