Red Lion G15 HMI for Temp control no PID

John McCoy

Howdy,
We have control valves for temp control that need to maintain t- 2 degrees the valves are on/off. The set point and real time temp in G15 HMI but will not process to turn on or off. Red lion seems to have no answer. This is Crimson 3 software
Thanks
John

Howdy,
We have control valves for temp control that need to maintain t- 2 degrees the valves are on/off. The set point and real time temp in G15 HMI but will not process to turn on or off. Red lion seems to have no answer. This is Crimson 3 software
Thanks
John

From the part number, you have a Graphite 15" and are trying to use ON/OFF (OPEN/CLOSED) control to maintain a temperature.

For anyone to help you we need to know more about the control system including what you have purchased including all I/O modules and how the temperature is being controlled, like is the medium being controlled by the valves heating or cooling.

Posting your existing configuration would be a good idea too - zip it before posting.

we are using a G3 Graphite HMI connected to a CSMSTRV2 controller with CSDIO14 I/O, CSINI8,and CSTC8 cards. The temp is being controlled by steam with an on/off sol valve to a heat exchanger in a 3000gal chemical tank. we are trying to compair the tank temprature input and a setpoint from the HMI to open and close the sol valve as the tank temp rises above or goes below the setpoint by 2 degrees by using thr Trigger tab in the tank temp tag.

we are using a G3 Graphite HMI connected to a CSMSTRV2 controller with CSDIO14 I/O, CSINI8,and CSTC8 cards. The temp is being controlled by steam with an on/off sol valve to a heat exchanger in a 3000gal chemical tank. we are trying to compair the tank temprature input and a setpoint from the HMI to open and close the sol valve as the tank temp rises above or goes below the setpoint by 2 degrees by using thr Trigger tab in the tank temp tag.

I'm sorry, I won't be able to help you. As many DSPXX devices as I have used, I have never used the Controller Version (CSMSTRV2). I know this is water over the Dam, but since you are using a Graphite, adding I/O modules to it and doing the control there might have been easier.

Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Assuming that you have already setup your communication between the CSMSTRV2 and the G15, you can setup the logic in the G15 Temp tag as shown in the attached picture.

Capture.jpg

Are you referring to a difference in execution reliability? I have used the trigger logic a number of times before, but not for process control, so I've not been concerned about reliability.

Last edited:
I agree this looks like it will work,after entering this multiple times in multiple configurations I am just about convinced it will not work.

Thanks

The logic will work, my question is whether or not you have the comms to the controller set up correctly.

Could you post both configurations?

I have gotten a program to work, however I had to call the program in order for it to work. I have 12 tanks to monitor for temp, multiple pump flows, tank levels and 2 boilers to monitor and I need it to work without calling programs, how do I do that.

Call the program automatically by placing it in the on update field of the pages tab.

OnUpdate : program ()

Set the program attribute to read when referenced, run anyway.

This way if one of your field devices loose comms the program will still execute properly.