OT: Cellphone choice?

I use an LG phone ...Model is G3 and it hasn't failed me in 5 years. Except maybe 3 times it has locked up when in the SMS messaging app and taking a photo to send to someone... I had to remove/re-install the battery.

I'm currently using an iPhone X, and I rarely have any issues with the face scanning unlock. Have there been documented security issues with it?

In my mind, getting access to my face is 10 times easier than getting access to my finger. That's all, I just don't like the possibility of my phone unlocking just because someone pointed it at me.

My wife has the X and the facial recognition works great on her's... I have the Note 9 and it works about half of the time on mine.

It maybe a setting (I have not looked) and it has its good and bad but she does not need to push or do anything she just looks at her phone and it turns on... I have to push a button before it will try and read my face, the pro's its really fast when she wants to turn it on the con's she has turned it on many times without wanting to

There are many good phone's just go to your service provider and play with them to see what OS you like the best, I think next time I will be getting the Google

iPhone Xs on AT&T. I like the Apple phones since they sync with eachother fairly well.

I carried two phones while traveling, personal phone just on WiFi and work phone.I like that the messages sync, so iMessages sent to my work number will be delivered on my personal phone.
With the new phone, I have both lines in one phone, and I can just enable them when I need them.

Yes it sucked shelling out the money, but then again, I use it a lot.

Yes it sucked shelling out the money, but then again, I use it a lot.

The top of the line smart phones are definitely expensive. But they also have functionality that makes them nearly as good a laptop that you can carry in your pocket, as well as a better than average camera/video recorder, a media player, etc. I also use mine all the time.

Essential PH1, which despite all it's critics at launch has been a great phone. Had mine about 6 months with no issue even though it's bounds a few times, although I think it has reception issues with T-Mobile in the US. It is a nice size to fit in the hand and was quite often being sold on Amazon US for silly prices to shift them.

I got an iPhone from work. We had Blackberry then Windows Phone. I actually found Windows the best phone OS but it came too late to the party.

The problem with investing a lot $ with phone is that even the best built phone tend to start having issue after 2 years. My current iPhone 6S+ is starting to have camera lockup and phone (yes, to make calls) lockup as well and it's been my experience with past smart phone too that this very complex hand-held computer will start to have "gremlins" at around the 2 year mark.

The problem with investing a lot $ with phone is that even the best built phone tend to start having issue after 2 years. My current iPhone 6S+ is starting to have camera lockup and phone (yes, to make calls) lockup as well and it's been my experience with past smart phone too that this very complex hand-held computer will start to have "gremlins" at around the 2 year mark.

Have you done a full reset? I back everything up then do a full factory reset, little bit of a pain but it kills the gremlins, I do it about once a year or when I start having issues

I bought this one back in September and I think I need a new memory card.... a lot of my pictures are turning gray and disappearing, I bought a 256 card but I think next time I will get a smaller one and just keep everything in the cloud

The problem with investing a lot $ with phone.

Edit: The phone I bought in September also and now you can get the same thing for half the price... but I was going on a long plane ride and figured it would give me something to mess with

Last edited:
I got an iPhone from work. We had Blackberry then Windows Phone. I actually found Windows the best phone OS but it came too late to the party.

It's almost like it's planned obsolescence to get you to buy a new one o_O

Variety

I have a Galaxy s5 Active bought used through Craig's list, a Blackberry Passport bought used through Kijiji, and a Samsung Rugby 3 flip-phone bought in good-as-new condition for $4 at a charity shop. The first two are in a drawer right now, and I use the Rugby because I enjoy its ruggedness, and its long battery life: three days to a week depending on use, on the battery which came with it. I can use it single-handed and dial without swiping and unlocking and faffing about trying to find the telephone app on the others (which incidentally, even though we may call them 'phones, are really pocket-sized computers with a radio).

The Rugby really cuts down on distractions: it is a telephone. It can access the Internet if I desire, and even show Youtube videos (and likely others - I've not tried. The only thing I miss from the others is the keyboard -- replying to SMS messages by T9 is a PITA, and the camera is not great in low-light.

I loved all my Samsung Galaxy phones I've had. (s3/4/7/8)
I recently.switched to a Google pixel 2 due to the deal at my carrier.
It took me a bunch of changes to get it how I like it (more like Samsung) but once I did that now I love it..