1769-L32E EtherNet Port Error ( I/O LED Blinking )

alpine

I am using 1769-L32E. but I have the problem about EtherNet Port as follows;

1. When I test RUN this CPU, I/O LED green blinking.
but All I/O modules connected to this CPU work properly.

Therefore, I think case of I/O LED green blinking not from I/O module expansion

2. When I try to set IP Address on EtherNet Port ( I set on RSLogix 5000 )
It appear Error 10081-80042507

"The module could not be found.
The path specified was invalid."

Status of EherNet Port is "IO Faulted"
Module Fault : (Code 16#0204) Connection Request Error : Connection
request time out.

I think that is the case of I/O LED blinking. but I can't troubleshoot this problem.

Anyone can suggest me to troubleshoot this problem ?

Thank
Alpine

I have already used 1769-ECR ( End Cap Right )

Dear geniusintraining

1) I have already used 1769-ECR ( End Cap Right )

2) I have seen VDO Clip in Youtube as you suggested.

This VDO Clip describes configuring IP Address by DF-1 Driver via RSLinx Software. If EtherNet Port on 1769-L32E work properly. There is EtherNet Port appeared on the route path of CPU ( As seen in VDO Clip )

But, for this CPU in my job. There is no EtherNet Port appeared on route path of CPU

3) I try to download firmware rev 13 to this CPU ( As method described in VDO Clip ). But download incomplete ! I guess this problem from Error of EtherNet Port of CPU

Note : I download firmware via DF-1

Note : I download firmware via DF-1

Not sure if that will work, (I THINK) when you flash a CPU it will flash everything but not the Ethernet

Try removing all your I/O and install just the ECR, then see if it is the same... if it is better then it is your I/O modules causing this

Are you using any analog I/O ? I know if you have selected buss power and line power this will give you issues, check the dip switch settings on the I/O if any

Firmware of EtherNet Port

Dear geniusintraining

1) I test by using 1769-L32E, 1769-PA2 and 1769-ECR ( no any I/O modules
installed with CPU, Power supply and End Cap Right )

But the EtherNet Port not work properly ! ( the same problem remains )

2) I use Analog Module 1769-IF4XOF2

3) I am interested on your wording
"when you flash a CPU it will flash everything but not the Ethernet"

Because I had read some Thread posted on this website

It describes about firmware of CPU and firmware of EtherNet Port.
Therefore 2 firmwares is separated ( If I guess correct )
But I'am not sure I have to download firmware of EtherNet Port

You should get the MAC ID from the adapter and run the BootP Server Utility to set the IP Address. Otherwise, connect via a serial connection and check your port parameters for your Ethernet port.

Hardware Error

Dear geniusintraining

I have downloaded Firmware V13 to CPU. But download incomplete because
Hardware ERROR !

Dear Bit_Bucket_07

I have used BootP Server Utility by setting MAC Address of EhterNet Port.
But BootP Fails to connect to EtherNet Port.

When I did my first Compactlogix project. I failed to turn off BootP (it looked like it worked)... So, after the part of Controlflash operation where it rebooted the controller, it was unable to finish since BootP was still enabled and had wiped out the IP address.

To get past this, I had to remove the battery from the controller for at least 30 minutes and start over. This is supposed to restore the ethernet port and the controller to factory default.

I did that. It seemed to work, but afterward the PLC would run for 15 minutes to 2 hours and then croak and erase itself. Since it was a new project I thought it was something in my code or configuration, but after everything checked okay, I ended up calling my distributor and getting a new unit.

So, if anything goes wrong during Controlflash, be suspicious of the PAC until it runs for a day or two.

These controllers come with a boot firmware and are much better at being able to revert back to that if a flash upgrade goes south. They aren't perfect though...but try the battery removal trick and start over to see if it helps you.

Last edited:
Dear OkiePC

I have run CPU by removal battery from CPU. But the EtherNet port remains error.
After you put he battery back in and power up, run BootP and give it a few minutes. I like to use a standalone switch or crossover cable for this.

If you get no BootP requests, then open a command window and try to ping the ip address of the device as it would be when you last set it.

I try to ping IP Address on CMD

Dear OkiePC

I try to test EtherNet Port of 1769-L32E by ping IP on CMD. But EtherNet Port does not work. When I ping to EtherNet Port , No any packet reply to me.

If the firmware load is incomplete then the Ethernet firmware is not getting updated.
The first thing that happens when flashing the firmware is the processor gets updated. This is indicated by all the LED's flashing and the processor reboots. After the processor reboots the firmware update should continue with updating the Ethernet card.
The firmware update includes the Ethernet card firmware.
We had some of our guys pulling the com cable after the first reboot during a firmware update and the Ethernet firmware would never get loaded.

Have you tried connecting to the L32 through DF-1 then in RSLinx Classic follow the path through DF-1 to the ethernet port. Don't know if you will be able to find anything out. But might help.