Usage (A,B) shaft encoder (X4)

HenryLamboo

Hello,

I have two questions about an incremental shaft encoder connected to a PLC. The encoder I use is an incremental shaft encoder with Channel A and Channel B and gives 125 pulses per rotation. I connected the encoder to an Unitronics PLC. For the configuration I can select a High speed counter, (A,B) Shaft encoder (X2) or (A,B) Shaft encoder (X4). I see 125, 250 or 500 pulses per rotation.

For me the (A,B) Shaft encoder (X4)is the best because this gives the most pulses.

Can I configure this encoder as an (A,B) Shaft encoder (X4)?

Can somebody explain me the difference between een X2 or X4 shaft encoder?

Henry

The A and B channels of the encoder, when being rotated at a constant rate, are two square waves offset by 90 electrical degrees.

ABClock.jpg

Let's interpret the signal going from left to right as an increasing count.

"R" = Rising edge, "F" = Falling edge, "L" = Low, "H" = High

X1 = AR and BL = increase count, AF and BL = decrease count

So an increment will happen once per full cycle of the A clock

X2 = X1 plus AF and BH = increase count, AR and BH = decrease count

So an increment will happen twice per full cycle of the A clock

X4 = X2 plus BR and AH = increase count, BF and AH = decrease count
BF and AL = increase count, BR and AL = decrease count

Now we have an increment happening 4 times through 1 full cycle of the A clock.