ControlLogix5000: Bit Names

try Double-Clicking the column name for DataType ...

But that's just gonna sort the list by Data Type, right?

What I meant was ... in a Conventional Programming language, you build your Data Segment any way you want ... and it stays that way forever.

With RSLogix5000, it's always going to put your tags in an alphabetical order, so in order to keep "like" data items together in the list, you have to name them hierarchically so they stay together in a contiguous "chunk" of the list.

from your signature:

I am a "conventional programmer" doing PLC Ladder Logic

well, if you're going to try to make a PLC work like a "conventional" computer, Shakespeare said it best:

"That way madness lies." ...

if you keep at it long enough you'll come to realize that "computers" and "PLCs" are two different animals ... (sort of like dogs and cats ... similar - but different) ...

you can't always make a PLC act exactly the way that you expect - or would like for it to do ...

you'll get used to it ...

Last edited:
from your signature:

well, if you're going to try to make a PLC work like a "conventional" computer, Shakespeare said it best:

"That way madness lies." ...

if you keep at it long enough you'll come to realize that "computers" and "PLCs" are two different animals ... (sort of like dogs and cats ... similar - but different) ...

you can't always make a PLC act exactly the way that you expect - or would like for it to do ...

you'll get used to it ...

Yeah, I realize that. It's frustrating to me, but I'm trying to cope (LOL!) I guess I *could* use Structured Text, but I'm hesitant to do that because this (very large) application is entirely written in Ladder, and it would just stick out like a sore thumb from an organizational standpoint.

Last edited: