USB laser distance measure

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of any USB distance measuring devices?

Looking for a stand-alone system where we can attach a laser to a machine, plug it into the USB and click a 'read' button to read the distance to the current part.

Something that can read 2 to 3 meters away with an accuracy of about .5mm.

I could use a Keyence LR series and a PLC but I am thinking there must be a simpler solution.

By "attach to a machine" what do you mean exactly ?
Dont know any PLCs with USB controller ports. I do know a few with USB device ports.
If you do not mean the PLC, do you mean an operator panel ?
If operator panel, what OS does it have ?

I would definitely use a regular laser distance measurement and then go into the PLC via a regular 4-20mA input. That is "simple" for me.

By "attach to a machine" what do you mean exactly ?
To physically attach to the cell, either by clamping or magnet.
This is to be physically and logically a stand-alone machine that can be taken to any machine.
Should have been more clear in the original post. Trying to avoid PLC if possible.

Dont know any PLCs with USB controller ports. I do know a few with USB device ports.
If you do not mean the PLC, do you mean an operator panel ?
If operator panel, what OS does it have ?
Looking to avoid PLC and HMI all together. Looking for some sort of sensor that anyone could plug into a PC and just read data.

I would definitely use a regular laser distance measurement and then go into the PLC via a regular 4-20mA input. That is "simple" for me.
If this was for me I would throw a PSU, Keyence sensor and a Siemens 1200 together and have it log to a DB or maybe a HMI/SD card.
Worse case that is what I will end up doing that.

I was just hoping someone knew of a distance sensor that was USB powered, or 110VAC powered that can connect directly to a PC.

Other ideas:

Laser sensor with integrated OPC UA server.
Laser sensor with integrated Modbus TCP server.
Laser sensor with integrated Webserver.
Laser sensor with IO-Link connection.
Laser sensor with Profinet Device connection.
Laser sensor with Ethernet/IP connection.
Laser sensor with proprietary protocol, but with OPC DA or OPC UA server.

Thanks for the ideas.

I might look at the ONTRAK device. I was hoping Phoenix Contact made something similar but could not find anything.

The laser with a web interface concept would be promising as well.

If I can find anything my backup will be a Siemens 1211 and a Keyence IL.

Thanks again!