RS Logix 5000 Yellow Triangle in the I/O Tree

I have two different yellow icons on my various Ethernet connections in my I/O tree in RS Logix 5000 V19.01

Can someone tell me what they mean?

I attached a photo of the I/O Tree here.

Capture.PNG

here's a GUESS based on what you've posted so far ...

IF (big IF) this is correct, then the question becomes "who inhibited the Ethernet modules - and why?" ...

good luck with your project ...

pause_alert_icons.PNG

You can verify what Ron is saying (which I have no doubt is correct) by opening the properties of the ENBT with the "Pause" icon, go to the Communications tab, see if the "Inhibit" checkbox is checked.

I'll give you one (of many) reason why someone would inhibit a module. We test our programs before they go into the field as much as possible. Typically, we don't have all of the devices on hand so we inhibit (disable) modules while testing so that the PLC is not trying to connect to them.

Do you think that the L73 processors could be reached through those paths, if the modules were not inhibited? Or does it mean it can't see them regardless.

You might be able to try opening the gateway for the ENBT/A modules into your web-browser and find if the backplane has those L73 processors.

Do you think that the L73 processors could be reached through those paths, if the modules were not inhibited? Or does it mean it can't see them regardless.

well, at this point of the game we're not even sure whether those L73 processors even exist or not ...

TIP:

what you're looking at in RSLogix/Studio 5000 (your screen shot) is a representation that someone (a programmer) has entered into your project file (the ACD file) ... in simplest terms, the programmer has the ability to add all manner of modules, processors, and other devices that might NOT really even be physically connected to the system ... as dmroeder said, this is usually done during the initial stages of developing a project - so that the 5000 software will create the necessary "tags" in the Controller Tags listing ...

SUGGESTION:

go to the RSLinx software package and start poking around in there ... the information shown in RSLinx stands a MUCH better chance of being "real-time" and "up-to-date" than the information that you're seeing in RSLogix/Studio 5000 ... you can usually learn a LOT more about how the system is set up by exploring RSLinx – rather than RSLogix/Studio 5000 ...

GOING FURTHER:

we could probably give you much better advice if you'd tell us more about the system that you're working on ... is it NEW? ... has it EVER worked? ... who has been working with it? ... etc. ... are you allowed to post the ENTIRE project file? (.ACD extension) ... I'm just GUESSING of course – but I've got a hunch that those "questionable" L73 processors are set up to exchange data with "your" processor – by communicating either through Produced/Consumed tags – or by using MSG (Message) instructions ...

the more we know – the more we can help ...

once again – good luck with your project ...

The reason why I was asking about those icons was because we have a lot of traffic on our Ethernet network. It is causing issues. And, it appears to be originating from this PLC. Something is constantly reaching out to IP address 239.192.9.160. Wireshark is calling it CIP I/O which I believe is Ethernet I/P traffic.

Here is a link to the project file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wH7Pddf-3k5jzphbEc0kg5VEch5TPIa6

It is RSLogix 5000 V19.01

This is a project file that was written by a systems integrator and then many different engineers at different times, added their own stuff.

It could be some MSG commands that are still reaching out to other PLCs that don't exist.

That IP address is a Multicast address.

EtherNet/IP originally used only Multicast addresses, so that you could implement fast listen-only I/O connections. The downside of multicast is that you need managed switches with IGMP group management (typically "IGMP Snooping" to constrain the multicast traffic to the appropriate switch ports. If you use unmanaged switches or don't set up your infrastructure correctly, the multicast traffic gets multicasted across the network and can negatively impact other parts of the system.

Enough users stubbornly refused to install proper Ethernet networking that Rockwell switched to allowing Unicast addressing as an option (P/C in v16, I/O in v18), then making that option the default in v20.

Look for I/O modules (there are some 3rd party ones I saw in your screenshot) that don't support Unicast, or might not be configured for unicast.