SLC5/04 half duplex to Citect V7.40

Sigmadelta, yes that's what l thought. When l tried to add (PORT6 in my case) on PORT config "Port Name", PORT6_BOARD1 in wasn't there in drop down and didn't like it when l wrote it in there.
EICS, are you meaning having to upgrade from 5/04 to 5/05's CPU's and use Ethernet?

Yes that is what i am referring too.

Well l was able to source a free 5/05 and have it talking to Citect, so Ethernet was able to do it relatively easy, like everything, once you have done it, it's easy. But l'm still playing with the 5/04 and a ML1000 analog trying to get either 1 of them to talk to Citect, still without luck.
Back to DF1 full duplex but IO server won't start. Getting balder by the minute pulling hair out.

Well finally got there. SLC5/05 or a Micro Logix 1000 analog talking to Citect V7.40 (you need to download the latest version of ABRSLINX1.02.18.000 and ABDF1D1.02.04.000 Citect drivers from there web site (that in itself is an exercise in frustration, make sure you get the latest versions) over DF-1 full duplex, baud 19200 RSlogix v10, RSlinx V3.74.
In the end it seems to have been an issue with the way it saved itself. Thanks to sigmadelta for his answer. The board didn't come up under ports, but Backing up the project, then "packing" has worked (even if the BOARD didn't come up under ports). I tried this config combination untold times without success, so it needed to be "Repacked" to get it's brain into gear. Attached config screen shot (which will work with either the ML1000 or SLC500, as well as the Citect CTZ file (use the Explorer,"restore" to open it). Also a basic RSlogix program for SLC and ML1000 (thanks to andybutcher, from 2011), remembering there is a difference between I/0 positioning between PLC's.
The CTZprogram has indication ON/OFF from switching an input0 on the PLC which controls N7:0, as well as when switching ON/OFF buttons on CTZ which controls N7:1 file in RSlogix. Both Citect and RSlogix can comm's together, so you can see files changing. There is a test for you to get the N7:1 Citect indication to display correctly.
Be aware it may take up to 20+ seconds for Citect Runtime to stop alarming after starting.