Rockwell Motion Analyzer Software Question

tomizzo11

So I recently estimated the power consumption of an electric motor for a specific application. The load that the motor was required to move equated to approximately .02 horse power. Because acceleration was very slow, the inertia of the motor rod/components should not be of too much concern. However, I understand that they're not negligible.

My next question arises from the recent use of simulation software that I used to confirm this. The software gave a similar power requirement to move the load. Roughly .02 horse power again.

This software also served to recommend motor and drive models. What I found surprising was the recommendation of motors and drives rated up to 4 KWs. Way beyond the power needed to move the load. I thought this was odd, but now am thinking I figured out why. So I'm wondering if anyone could confirm or correct the reasoning I'm about to provide.

Although the power needed to move the load is relatively low, that doesn't account for the individual factors that make up power: torque and speed. I simulated my application with a constant load which moved very slowly, but also needed to provide a somewhat large amount of torque. Between the high torque and slow speed, the slow speed causes the power the be relatively low. Regardless, there is still a high amount of torque needed.

Because current is proportional to torque in electric motors, high torque will require high current. Because of this, is it correct to assume that this may require the use of a higher power motor/drive due to the fact that it needs to handle a high current? Although power is only required to be .03 horse power, the amount of current to produce that can not occur at typical motors rated at that low of power typically?

Hopefully you understand what I'm asking.

Thank you