Siemens Step 7 & Pro Tool Pro Manuals

Zombo

I would just like to take an informal
poll. Over the years I have worked
with various PLCs. Most of the manufacturers produce satisfactory to
good manuals. However the Siemens's
manauls always seem to miss a step
or leave out some pertinate information.
I have communicated with the Siemens
hotline on several occasions and they
even admit the manuals are not what
there cracked up to be. Just interested
in other people's opinions on this subject.

Siemens Manuals are improving

You are absolutely right about the Siemens manuals not being up to scratch. Even the newer and vastly improved manuals often do not give you the info that you are looking for. Step 5 Manuals were rough stuff. Some of the Most helpful information that we have got is from an independant author - Hans Berger.
It seems to me that if you do not have a fairly good foundation and fair background in the Siemens Automation, you will battle with the manuals. It's as if they expect you to know many basic concepts.
On the same note though, the manuals and help available for the S7 200 range PLC's is exceptional. Perhaps, because it was an American PLC (Texas Instruments) and the manual was created by the Americans. The S7 200 manuals are really up-to-scratch.
Those of us who are used to Siemens PLC's and manuals often find it an incredible "treat" when using other PLC's because the help is so user friendly.

Hi,

I completly agree, I've worked with several PLC suppliers and the manuals of Siemens are the most incomplete. Also the hotline (in Belgium) isn't wort calling they only come up with the answer several days after you asked the question. That's why I always phone directly to Germany.
That's perhaps the reason why we always say Siemens never work the first time.
It's strange, when you have very good hard and software and you're not able to produce a manual in the same quality.

Rudi