network connectivity status AB 1756-EN2T

tasiv

Hello,

When using GSV I can retrieve module status, however I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve the network connectivity status (if there is a break in the ethernet connection, I'd like to know). All I know, right now, is that I can determine whether or not the module is connected by viewing the module properties. Is there a routine that can retrieve connection status and pass it to a(n) DINT, INT, or BOOL?

Thanks,
tasiv

I'm not connecting to another PLC on this network interface. I am using this connection to speak with a HMI (Wonderware using AB CIP messaging), and another EN2T card to communicate with a DIGI IAP.

Ultimately I am looking for a connection "health" status.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with "implicit connection". There should be no other communication on the separate LANs between the PLC and HMI and the PLC and Digi. I would guess that communication between these devices are implicit, as they utilize Allen Bradley CIP communication.

Implicit would mean that a packet of known data is sent on a scheduled interval (RPI). An HMI is usually considered explicit since the data that is being requested is constantly changing depending on the demand of what the HMI is doing. We are getting off topic and probably is not helping with your problem.

What I was getting at is you could get the packet TX/RX count for the module and use this to decide if a good connection is there. An idea maybe.?

The simplistic approach is to use heartbeat signals on each end and monitor this way.

I appreciate your input. I'll look into utilizing a heartbeat between the PLC and HMI. I don't quite know how well it will work between the Digi and PLC, but that is for later investigation.

Many thanks.

If you are looking to confirm that the cable is plugged in, that is possible. You need to use a MSG instruction. There is an article on the AB knowbase (if you have access). I will post the msg configuration later. (Don't have it on this one).