I'll be the guy behind the glass in a few years

To follow up on the brush change
It was on an M G set (Motor Generator) converts the 2,300 VAC 3 Ph to the 500 VDC to supply the plane variable speed motors. In them days there were no VFD's. I think it was about 500 HP
The brushes of course were on the DC side. And we did it without gloves (couldn't work with gloves)
I think there were some ware around 10-15 brushes in each brush holder so removing 1 would have no effect on the output. And you had to be careful not to drop anything.
The 500 VDC was ungrounded, there was a lot of systems both AC and DC in those days and it was that way on purpose.
I was just starting out and did what I was told and trusted the guys I worked with. I would never do that again I know better now.
They did have one of the first solid-state rectifiers but it was always broken down so the just didn't use it.
Later on I serviced quite a few plants that had 2 phase systems. No not 3 wire single phase as in your house. It had 4 wires and again no ground. All motors were special and no replacements available.
Those were the good old days anybody care to go back to them.

Those were the good old days anybody care to go back to them.
The "old" part of the good old days is accurate, but the "good" part isn't always so.

Now, if you're old enough, picture Archie and Edith at the piano doing the theme song for All in the Family. Today's challenge: without help from Google or any other search engine, who can quote the lyrics. I'll start:

Archie: Boy, the way Glen Miller played
Edith:

as for the meter thing. the first guy I worked for and started my training didn't need no stinking meter just stick you finger in the light socket.

I watched a guy troubleshoot with his fingers working on a relay logic panel. He said his meter was too slow and he needed to be able to tell which circuit went "hot" first. It was all 120 vac. He would lick his fingers before touching the terminals he was testing. Both hands at the same time. I asked 'Why do you lick your fingers" He said he couldn't feel it if he didn't. He also said said he had to ground himself to be able to feel it. He has his bare arm against the panel door frame.

My average body resistance from finger tip to finger tip is about 80k ohms. I can get shocked by a 12 volt battery if I am sweating. What he was doing would have killed me instantly.

I watched a guy troubleshoot with his fingers working on a relay logic panel. He said his meter was too slow and he needed to be able to tell which circuit went "hot" first. It was all 120 vac. He would lick his fingers before touching the terminals he was testing. Both hands at the same time. I asked 'Why do you lick your fingers" He said he couldn't feel it if he didn't. He also said said he had to ground himself to be able to feel it. He has his bare arm against the panel door frame.

My average body resistance from finger tip to finger tip is about 80k ohms. I can get shocked by a 12 volt battery if I am sweating. What he was doing would have killed me instantly.

I used to work for a guy (nationality not to be mentioned for another ****** joke) that used to check 240 & 480 live fuses the same way - he just always said to use the back of your finger so the electric charge would cause the finger to jump away from the live power & disconnect you, otherwise if you use the front it would cause your finger to push into the power and hold you there.

I just always reminded myself of his nationality when he did that (frequently).

And here I am coming up on the ripe age of 29. Where I work they will refuse to upgrade to anything newer unless it's dire. At this point we've got a good mix of Relay logic, SLC 150, PLC 5, Modicon Quantum processors as well as some of the newer Rockwell: Compact, Micro, Controllogix. I believe we removed any of the Siemens that was left so I guess we don't have as many brands per say. I do enjoy getting to use all the different platforms. In some ways it's humbling.

I'm 44 with experience back to DOS based PLC programming. Took a career change and didn't touch a PLC for 7 years. Now I'm back working with them again. Really didn't forget much. Just like riding a bike. Allen-Bradley had a pre-PLC product called Cardlox. You quite literally hardwired your I/O cards to program them. No CPU involved. I had to upgrade a machine to a PLC with one of these Cardlox units running it. That was quite a challenge.

I am surprised that you even heard of cardlox let alone actually worked on one. AB phased them out about 30 years ago the must have been good last this long.
You must have been what 5 or 6 when they were used.
They were my first exposure to PLC or logix controllers.
You had to use wire wrap tool to program them