Vorne Display

MikeC123

Ok i Have a Vorne M1000 display, hooked to a 1734-232asc module, after reading the manual for the display i have no idea how to communicate to the display. Not sure if I need another software or w.e, im just lost lol. Any help would be great!!

So no, You don't 'need' another piece of software. But it will make life easier for testing if you do...
The display just takes ascii commands via serial.

So, The first thing to do is just use Hyperterminal / Putty / etc to setup the 'strings' you'll need to send to the display. Then once you have those sorted out, worry about the PLC programming to make that work.

FWIW, here is some code I used on a GE QuickPanel.

The PLC (GE Rx3i) sends a number to the QuickPanel which then selects the proper message.
If you look at the manual, you should see that some code elements match the manual.

Code:
'Notes
'Chr(12) = <FF>
'Chr(27) = <ESC>
'Chr(13) = <CR>
'<ESC>line;columnC tells what line and column to move the cursor to
'	Chr(27) & "1;3C" is command to move to line 1 column 3

Dim strMessage

'First, check to see if the Com Port is Open
'Then, Select the active display message from the PLC
'Then construct the string to send to the Large Display

If dintComPortStatus.Value = 0 Then
	Select Case PLC.Element("intHmiDisplayMessages").Value
		Case 0
			strMessage = Chr(12) & Chr(27) & "1;2C" & "PLC Starting Up" & Chr(27) & "2;4C" & "Please Wait" & Chr(13)
		Case 1
			strMessage = Chr(12) & Chr(27) & "1;3C" & "Emergency Stop" & Chr(27) & "2;7C" & "Active" & Chr(13)
		Case 2
			strMessage = Chr(12) & Chr(27) & "1;1C" & "Emergency Stop 02" & Chr(27) & "2;3C" & "Active at Base" & Chr(13)
		Case 3 ...

Case Else
			strMessage = Chr(12) & Chr(13)
	End Select

'Send the selected string to the Large Display
View.ComPortPut 1,strMessage
End If

so it needs to be hooked up to the PC? i have 1756-L71, to a point IO 1734-AENT to a 1734-232asc all through ethernet, using rslogix to write anything to this vorne m1000, im still confused i get how to make string commands just dont know how to get the string command there

in production, You will use the 1734-232asc module to send string commands to the display in order to control it.

For that, you'll want to grab the manual for that module and lookup the ascii commands in Rs5000. https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm013_-en-p.pdf and https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um009_-en-p.pdf

For testing, I usually just use my laptop and send the commands from there to test things out.

ok different question, ow how do i write string commands with the 1734-232asc, cause apparently what im doing isnt working, any help would be awesome

The short version is -

You write the string you want into the output data of the module and then increment the transaction number to transmit it.

It is a little trickier as the output data I think is a SINT array? So you have to convert the ascii characters to their numeric representation.

Edit: I recall that the string datatype has the same format for its members. So maybe define the strings in string tags first and then cop to the output data and length.

Last edited:
No worries, this is how we learn.

I do recommend getting familiar with hyperterminal or putty however. A breakout box/tester is also really useful
There is still a LOT of kit out there that uses rs232 comms and those tools are invaluable for troubleshooting it.

No worries, this is how we learn.

Literally. None of us learned serial communications or data encoding on the playground.

Though I talked to a neighbor yesterday whose 5th grader has a Python elective.

For Mike's application:

1. Figure out exactly what ASCII string the Vorne display needs
  2. Test the Vorne display by sending that data to it from a PC
  3. Figure out how to represent that in the ControlLogix program with the 232-ASC.
  4. Test the ControlLogix by sending that data to a PC
  5. Hook up the Vorne and the 232ASC and test them together.

I'm an expert with serial comms and the 232-ASC and I would still take each one of those steps.

Ok Ive done steps 1-4, where Im messing up is the string part lol.
Im use to using AWT whenever Im having to use strings in anything,
still learning and just cant seem to figure out if i need to convert my ASCII character to
SINTS an then move? Im just lost any help or anything at this point would awesome

So, The 'STRING' datatype has 2 submembers (.len a DINT and .data a SINT[82])

The output tag of the 1734-232asc module has 4 submember (2 around transmit number, .length a SINT and .data a SINT[x]) where x is the 'Maximum number of transmit characters' that you set in the module properties.

So, craft your strings however you need too, and copy the .len and .data into the submembers of the output tag.

i have that part of it, if i could post my logic here i would, but the string just keeps repeating itself over and over on the pc, right now i have Test<cr> as my String going to the 1734 output .data tag like you said. i appreciate all the great info from you guys so far