High Speed Counting with a PE

JosephMont

How does everyone count items at a higher speed using a PE?

I traditionally just use a sequence to count such as PE gets blocked for a set period of time, move to a 10, when equal to a 10 and PE gets unblocked for a set period of time, move back to a zero. Count everytime that sequence goes to 10 but I have not been finding that very consistent when going faster than 200 ft/min.

I am curious to how everyone else does it for different ideas.

How fast does your sensor switch? At 200ft/min how long is your part in front of the sensor for?

Edit: What is the RPI of this module set to and what kind of task is your counting logic executing in(and @ what scan time)?

Last edited:
How fast does your sensor switch? At 200ft/min how long is your part in front of the sensor for?

Edit: What is the RPI of this module set to and what kind of task is your counting logic executing in(and @ what scan time)?

PE - Switching frequency DC [Hz]1000

The product is in front of the PE for about 400ms give or take.

RPI is 5ms
Main Task @5.998ms

So, depending on your de-bounce time, probably fine there.
If I didn't have a high-speed counter module, I would probably put some secondary logic in to count the number of time the sensor goes low-high-low w/out being on long enough.

Or, use the built in module filter for the point instead of your timer logic. Set each transition to 10ms or so.

So, depending on your de-bounce time, probably fine there.
If I didn't have a high-speed counter module, I would probably put some secondary logic in to count the number of time the sensor goes low-high-low w/out being on long enough.

Or, use the built in module filter for the point instead of your timer logic. Set each transition to 10ms or so.

Currently have the point set @100uS for each transition PLUS my ton's for on and off.