Ignition Edge

500 tag limit is removed in v7.9.9, here is a link to the manual

Awesome, the tag limit was the only reason I dismissed edge. I was using templates that had status/operation/maintenance/engineering windows and the AOI was pretty compacted and configurable. I think 1 motor had at least 20 tags that needed to go to the HMI (using DINT for 32 bools for one tag). I saw that just a handful of motors and valves would out do it. This is a game changer.

Awesome, the tag limit was the only reason I dismissed edge. I was using templates that had status/operation/maintenance/engineering windows and the AOI was pretty compacted and configurable. I think 1 motor had at least 20 tags that needed to go to the HMI (using DINT for 32 bools for one tag). I saw that just a handful of motors and valves would out do it. This is a game changer.

Same! This is exciting. If I can have edge replace all my FTView applications I'll be a very happy programmer!

Thanks Paully.

If we supply only individual machines, we would only use Ignition Edge Panel.
If we supply a complete plant, we would use a full Ignition, maybe with Edge Panel for the machines.

What does this mean:
I am imagining that I can do some scripting triggered by tag events. Will that be possible ?

Basically, gateway "Scope" really isn't applicable on an Edge system. Edge isn't going to run multiple projects so you don't need to share resources among them. Any scripting you do will just be in the project scope and you shouldn't see any negative impact on what you may want to do.

One thing about Edge that is a drawback, aside from no database access, is that the OPC-UA Server is is ONLY a client; it cannot take info from field devices and source it to other OPC clients, but that is probably not a big restriction for most applications.

Just to add clarity, there are 3 variants of "Edge". Panel/Enterprise/MQTT. If you just want to replace a local HMI and you're using "Panel", then you are correct. Otherwise, Enterprise/MQTT will act as remote data providers. Enterprise also does store and forward. But important to note that Enterprise/MQTT assumes it's working with a Full Ignition gateway.

If you simply want an OPC server, just buy the driver module you need. The AB driver w/OPC-UA module is $300, that's dirt cheap.

Bump, I'm looking for a lightweight HMI and OPC driver to run on Server 2016 box.

Can the AB OPC DA server other client? I have a full featured historian I would use instead of using the HMI historian.