Tips.

Alan Case

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I am compiling a list of off-beat tips and trade tricks using products for their unintended purpose.
ie to start the list.
Aeroguard (it is a spray on insect repellant. not sure if it is sold in the USA) is excellent for removing texta marks from painted switchboards.
Anyone else have anymore ato add?

Regards Alan Case

ndzied1 said:
How about using the box end of a wrench for added leverage on an 'L' shaped hex wrench (Allen Wrench). This does take alittle practice ;)

And when you done with that you can use a rag, (origionally intended for wiping grease or oil), and some electrical tape to patch your scrapped knuckels...

elevmike said:
And when you done with that you can use a rag, (origionally intended for wiping grease or oil), and some electrical tape to patch your scrapped knuckels...

Actually mike i find that just the Electrical tape works the best on minor cuts, Something in the glue..? :)

One other trick is a 3' piece of 1/2" rope as a fish tape puller..you can get a hell of a pull from it and it doesnt twist and bend the fish as pliers do.

Alan,

In the US, there is a popular insect repellent brand called "Off". I am sure it would remove marks. I have seen PVC pipe cleaner solvent used for that purpose also.

How about all the ways electricians prepare lunch on the job site? Those PVC conduit benders make great hamburger cookers. The residual melted pvc adds a unique flavor, out of this world...

Last edited:
Alan Case said:
Hi, I am compiling a list of off-beat tips and trade tricks using products for their unintended purpose.
Regards Alan Case

Yellow 77 (Idel brand) wire lube makes the best hand cleaner.

linesman pliers are great for removing 1/2" & 3/4" reducing bushings from conduit fittings.

I'll post more later...

Lancie1 said:
Alan,

How about all the ways electricians prepare lunch on the job site? Those PVC conduit benders make great hamburger cookers. The residual melted pvc adds a unique flavor, out of this world...

Dont forget about the "hot dog cooker"..2 nails and male cord end..plug er in for 10-15 seconds and you have a fully cooked hot dog..(Dont touch the dog while cooking!!:) )..BTW after many trials..brass nails work the best..

stasis said:
linesman pliers are great for removing 1/2" & 3/4" reducing bushings from conduit fittings.

When I was in the field I just used a pair of channel locks for most all conduit work (except cutting of course), including deburing the inside and outside of the cut ends.

I can list things like this .....

In a pinch if you need to couple an encoder a short piece of rubber tubing and screw hose clamps will work, just be sure to keep the screw part of the clamps 180 degrees apart. These type clamps;
http://www.idealclamp.com/

I have used just about everything for reaming conduit but many years ago I obtained a Klein screwdrive with a conduit reamer built on, these days you can buy the conduit reamer attachment. Goto www.klein-tools.com and look at Part No. 19352, it is good for 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch. Since a screwdriver is a standard tool this makes it easy to have with you.

I use sandwich bags for storing leads and other items.

I use 3M plastic tape containers to store anything and everything...screws, bolts, nuts, wirenuts, rubber-bands....

Camera film containers are also good for the above.

Screwdriver tips break (especially when used as a chisel etc) but do not throw it away, just a few minutes grinding can transform it into an awl.

I have more, if I get time I will provide them.

Thanks Ron. I had a look at your site. Quite a few interesting tips.

The hot dog cooker, was that on 110v? and how many blown fuses did it take to figure it out.
Regards Alan Case

I cant count how many different ways there are to light a ciggerette..but three of them are with the arc welder, grindner, & torch set..I've run into some pretty inovative smokers when they were faced with the absence of a match or lighter...

A lot of times when i'm trying to get a bearing out of a roller or pulley, i'll use a socket of about the same size as the outer or inner race of the bearing. Since sockets increase and decrease incrementally, it's usually pretty easy to find one that will work. If you have to, you can use deep well sockets or even add extensions if you have a long way to push the bearing out. Just do it on something smooth, like an arbor press.

Last edited:
Duct Tape More Effective than Cryotherapy for Warts

Article Excerpt:

In patients treated with duct tape, 85 percent of the warts completely resolved, compared with 60 percent in the cryotherapy group. These results were statistically significant. Resolution of warts treated with duct tape usually occurred within the first 28 days of therapy. If there was no response within the first two weeks, the warts were unlikely to respond to a longer course of therapy. The main adverse outcomes with duct-tape therapy were difficulty keeping the tape on the wart and minor skin irritation. The main adverse effect in the cryotherapy group was mild to severe pain at the freeze site during and after the treatment.

The authors conclude that duct tape occlusive therapy is more effective than cryotherapy in the treatment of common warts. They also state that duct tape therapy is less expensive and has fewer adverse effects than cryotherapy.

Is this offbeat enough? :p