Omron - some beginner questions

Dan_B

Hi,

I have a project that has to be done in 2 weeks. The system is controlled by a CS1G-CPU42 PLC from Omron. Presently they have a remote IO rack controlled through DeviceNet by a DRT1-COM Multiple IO Terminal. The DeviceNet master is in the main rack - a DRM21-V1 card. Two new IO racks will be added, each one with a DRT1-COM terminal. The DeviceNet was configured with the DeviceNet Configurator but the customer doesn't have the configuration file anymore.
On the CPU I have also a serial comm board, model no. CS1W-SCB41-V1 which is now used to communicate with an HMI.
I am a total beginner to Omron so I am starting from zero. Also I don't have a PLC to make some tests, the actual PLC is at the customer and they use it because the system is running 24h.
So, the questions:
1. How can I save the memory area when I am online? I would think that Omron should have something similar with ControlLogix (upload tags on save). What it will happen with the memory area when I will download the program (all my modifications will be done offline)? How can I set some values offline, values that will be downloaded all along with the logic?
2. I would like to use the serial comm board for programming purposes - there are some special settings to do or it's completely transparent (I just connect through it with CXProgrammer)?.
3. Are there any issues with the DeviceNet Configurator? From the documentation it looks like it's pretty straightforward. Can I make a full upload of the actual DeviceNet configuration before making any modifications?
4. Where I can find a more detailed documentation on CXProgrammer? I have to add 2 PID loops and in the CXProgrammer help the explanations on the PID instruction are quite poor ... in fact there is no explanation how to setup the P,I & D, where to write the SP, etc.

Thank you all!
Dan

I would be inclined to obtain CX-One rather than just CX-Programmer and the Device Net configurator if possible. It is a complets suite of software for Omron PLCs, networks, motion cards, NS screens etc.

You will be able to upload the settings in the Device Net card with the configurator. This will include the adddresses of any Device Net I/O that have been included in the scan list. You will also be able to upload the whole Device Net network.

You will also be able to upload the program from the PLC. However, if the processor is earlier than V3, it will not have the capability of storing symbols etc. If it is a V3 processor, it will have the capability of storing symbols etc but that does not mean that the original programmer has stored them in the controller. There is a choice to store or not store.

The SCB41 has 2 ports - one is RS232 the other RS422/485 (selectable). There is also a serial port on the processor. This is RS232. There is also a peripheral port on the processor - I normally use the peripheral port for programming etc. However, I purchased a bluetooth serial port and USB port from Omron recently. These days I normally use the peripheral port to set up the serial port on the processor for the bluetooth device and then use that exclusively. NO CABLES!!

I would suggest you use the peripheral port rather than try and use the serial port on the SCB. With the peripheral port you can setup the software to run toolbus comms in auto detect mode at 115kbaud. Much better than having to fiddle around setting up a serail port for high speed comms for a newby to Omron. A peripheral port comms cable is available from Omron.

You do not need better documentation for CX-Programmer. The help files are OK but if you want properly constructed help on functions, you really need the manuals for the PLC. If all the help files from all the manuals were inserted in CX-Programmer, CX-One would go to about 5 CDs rather than the present 3.

Ask your Omron rep for a copy of the Digital Technical Library. All the manuals are on there. If not available, here are links to the program instructions manual and other relevant manuals for the CS1. There are many more manuals available for the CS1 and all the cards. BEWARE - they are large files and will take a while to download.

Instructions manual for CS/CJ
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?download=583

Device Net manual
http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/marcom/pdfcatal.nsf/PDFLookupByLinkCode/MAN-SYSMAC-CSCJ?OpenDocument

Operation manual
http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/marcom/pdfcatal.nsf/PDFLookupByLinkCode/Man-W339?OpenDocument

Serial board manual
http://oeiwcsnts1.omron.com/pdfcatal.nsf/PDFLookupByUniqueID/2E8DFAC63AE748D986256AA20047B738/$FILE/M11W336E107.pdf?OpenElement

Hope this helps but I think you will find it pretty difficult to complete the job in 2 weeks. I wish you well.

If you require more help there are plenty of Omron people who visit here and we will help all we can.

Thank you Bob,

I installed CX-Programmer and CX-One also.
For the serial ports I have a problem. They have 2 HMIs (631C) and they want also to connect the PLC on the plant network - they installed a serial/ethernet converter. Besides, the peripheral port of the CPU seems to be defective (someone put a sticker "Defect" on it). So I have 3 ports available with 3 connections needed - I need another connection for programming. I was thinking to use the 422 port on the serial board and connect the 2 HMI's in parallel so I can spare a port. Now they have only one HMI installed, it's connected to the RS232 port of the CPU, the second one will be added in a week or so.
How can I know that it is a V3 processor and if the symbols were stored, how can I upload them?
Thank you for the links. The instruction manual is excellent - just what I needed.

Thank you again.

You can connect the NT631C to the 422 port via NTLink 1:N mode. You will need to configure the NT's and the port for that protocol.

Another possible option would be to add a CS1W-SCU21 or 41 module in the rack. This will add 2 additional comm ports. The 21 has two RS232, the 41 adds one 232 and one 422/485. Just an option.

If the cpu is a CS1G-CPU42 (no V1 or H on the end for the part number) is will not be a V3 processor.

Depending on the configuration of the DeviceNet network, the configurator may not be required. Check the manual for the DRM21 module. Omron has a "Fixed Configuration" mode that will auto generate the scan list. Works great if you are using Omron DeviceNet Slaves, and is pretty foolproof.

To save the D memory settings (or any memory setting), choose Memory from the left hand frame, then open that memory area. You can then File/Save the data. There is an option to save in the project or save as a separate file. Don't have CX-One here at home, so can not verify the specific prompts, but I think above is close.

As BobB indicated, you will have a steep learning curve ahead, but there is a lot of support here and at www.MrPLC.com.

Hope this will help.

Thank you guys.

I started to write my program and my HMI application. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a PLC from the Omron branch in Montreal, I have already the HMI that I will install so I hope I will be able to make some tests before commissioning.
So far, I had some trouble with DeviceNet. I went on site and tried to upload the actual DeviceNet configuration using the DeviceNet configurator - no success... I tried with both interfaces (Sysway and Toolbus). When trying with Sysway I get the error message "Specified unit can not be accessed", when trying with Toolbus get the error message "Interface can not be opened", like the serial port cannot be opened. Why I get 2 different error message depending on the interface I am using? And, most of all, why it's not working? The cable is good, the serial port on the CPU is working. More of that, after trying to connect with the DeviceNet Configurator, seems that the serial port gets stuck, I cannot connect even with CxProgrammer unless I reset my laptop!

Anything that helps would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Dan

It sounds like some other process has hold of the serial port. Do you have AB software on the laptop? If so, do a search here. There are plenty of threads that suggest AB software should be started as a service not on startup if using other software. Siemens can cause similar problems although I have not had problems with Siemens and Omron.

By the way, I use a HP with a real serial port but it is really a Compaq and runs XP Pro.

I have indeed RSLinx installed but the RSLinx serial driver is disabled. The CxProgrammer connects to the PLC so there is no other program that has hold of the serial port.
Anyway, today I got a backplane, a CPU and an HMI so I started my tests. So far, everything looks cool... I saw that in the Cx-One package there is the CxIntegrator that could do the same thing as the DeviceNet Configurator. I will use it next time I will go on-site, with the test PLC that I have here it looks OK - it sees the CPU and the serial ports.
Speaking of HMI, how do I display negative values or real numbers? It looks like the HMI accepts only BCD data.
My questions may seem stupid to you - the first time I saw an Omron PLC and installed the Omron software was some days ago. But I hope there are no stupid questions, just questions.

Thanks
Dan

There are no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Register your software on the European website and there is an auto update feature in CX-One. Update to all the latest fixes/improvements.

Which HMI?

I have a 631C. I am testing it with HostLink. With NT-Link it didn't work, in the documentation they say "Only the -V1 versions of Omron CS1H and CS1G PCs support the high-speed 1:N NT Link directly", but I tried also the standard speed - it's not working. What I find strange is that when I am setting NT Link on the PLC and HostLink on the HMI it's working. I am using the peripheral port on the CPU. The CPU is a SYSMAC CS1G (without the -V1). In the PLC Settings I set NT Link (1:N), then "Transfer To PLC" , after that, if I "Transfer From PLC" it returns NT Link (1:N), so it should be OK. It looks like the peripheral port of the PLC stays always in the HostLink mode.

Thanks,
Dan

Dip switch 4 on the cpu will determine the peripheral port settings. If the switch is on the port will respond to the Settings you have set (after you cycle power to the processor). If switch 4 is off, it will use the default parameters.

Hope this will help.

The DIP switch #4 is in ON position. First, it was in OFF and the HMI didn't communicate at all and on the CXProgrammer I had to set Toolbus to communicate. After putting it in ON, I had to change the CxProgrammer for SysWay and the HMI started to communicate but only in HostLink mode.
So to me, it looks like the default setting is ToolBus.

Dan

I tried some other configurations - looks like the HMI communicates with the PLC only if DIP switch #4 is ON and DIP switch #5 is OFF.
If DIP switch #5 is ON the HMI doesn't communicate with the PLC (while I am using only the peripheral port).

Dan