Detecting Product Jam On Conveyor

skkn

I have product going on conveyor. In order to detect jam, If photo eye does not see a gap between each product for certain time, it thinks there is a jam. Works great but now we have product flowing on conveyor with little or no gap but we do not want to stop. Any ideas on solution where I can detect object moving on conveyor with no gap and keep the conveyor running.

Maybe you could mount a sensor above the belt that measures the distance to the belt. If an object present, that distance will be less letting you know something is there.

These are cases almost attached/sticked together on conveyor. If they are running continously or jammed, laser or distance reading will give same output and it will not work.

It depends on where you place your laser. If there is a jam in one place, the conveyor will be empty pass the jam. You may have to use multiple sensor to develop a system that will work.

I have never seen your facility, so I have no clue how your conveyors are configured or anything about your product. Just trying to throw some ideas around and see if anything sticks.

What kind of product is it? What size is it, is there "lot" or "few" at at same time on conveyor. What kind of product flow is it, is it fixed to conveoyr or does conveyor move faster than product. Can product be pushed against each other when jam happens or not? Is jam usually becouse of downstream equipment?

1. Put in a metering belt? That way your guaranteed to pull a gap.

2. Put in a tape machine and add reflective tape to each box and use it to flag you PE's. That would create a pulse for PE. If you don't have a gap to see across. Then you must create one. Personally I would go for the metering belt.

#2 is a joke. Although I have seen that concept 30 years ago to divert boxes from a sorter. Tape machines were set to different heights. It worked.

3. slowly increase speed along conveyors to pull gaps. You could do this by changing sprockets.

Either way you go... You need a Gap.

Do it the right way. Use a surafce encoder to detect belt movement or encoder on the idle shart. The encoder on the idle shaft won't compensate for belt slippage though but a surface encoder measuring the belt speed will.

Most times you end up spending more money and time trying to get it do with sub par methodes like photo electric sensore,etc than to just do it correctly to start with.

Do it the right way. Use a surafce encoder to detect belt movement or encoder on the idle shart. The encoder on the idle shaft won't compensate for belt slippage though but a surface encoder measuring the belt speed will.

Most times you end up spending more money and time trying to get it do with sub par methodes like photo electric sensore,etc than to just do it correctly to start with.

I believe he wants solution to detect product jam, not conveyor jam.

I suspect the answer isn't the type of sensor you use so much as the quantity of sensors.
What you have now would work just as well if there were enough sensing positions. The more places you look, the faster you can detect a problem.

Im sure, that without more information on application (pic naturally best) we cant suggest him the best solution. We can only guess what he is after and suggest solution to that guess.

Sounds like a vision sensor would be a better fit. Something like checker from Cognex could be the solution. The run in the $1,200.00 range.

Maybe it could be mounted above the conveyor to see multiple boxes vs on the side of the conveyor.

A Beta Laser Mike non contact laser speed encoder could measure product speed. Compare that to belt speed. No idea on price.