love that e-stop

I hate when operators use E-stop instead of cycle stop, especially since a lot of what I work on is robotic

I hate when operators use E-stop instead of cycle stop, especially since a lot of what I work on is robotic

I have found the best way to prevent that is to make it take more time or effort to recover from an e-stop. If it causes them enough extra button presses or time, they will change their behavior. The production gods may frown on anything like that.

In those cases when you can't get away with intentionally causing a little grief in the just cause of avoiding unnecessary equipment damage, a really annoying buzzer mounted in a place that makes it hard to defeat can help. You can sell that as heightened safety awareness. If someone is trapped and hits the e-stop, the buzzer can be a call to the rescue team.

E-stops need to be respected and maintained for their purpose. You want operators to know how and when to use them and to test them only to ensure their integrity.

As above.

EM Stop is over used. It should only be used in case of emergency. If it is used in any other case, either you have a design flaw or over eager operator.

I have found the best way to prevent that is to make it take more time or effort to recover from an e-stop. If it causes them enough extra button presses or time, they will change their behavior. The production gods may frown on anything like that.

In those cases when you can't get away with intentionally causing a little grief in the just cause of avoiding unnecessary equipment damage, a really annoying buzzer mounted in a place that makes it hard to defeat can help. You can sell that as heightened safety awareness. If someone is trapped and hits the e-stop, the buzzer can be a call to the rescue team.

E-stops need to be respected and maintained for their purpose. You want operators to know how and when to use them and to test them only to ensure their integrity.

I have the same philosophy. I know we all give operators a bit of stick, but if there's one thing they're all remarkably good at, it's making their life easy. Once they realise just how badly pressing an e/stop will screw up their day, they'll find another button to press. If there really is an emergency, well, someone's day is already screwed up ;)

I have the same philosophy. I know we all give operators a bit of stick, but if there's one thing they're all remarkably good at, it's making their life easy. Once they realise just how badly pressing an e/stop will screw up their day, they'll find another button to press. If there really is an emergency, well, someone's day is already screwed up ;)

Amen. I go around and around with this on Web handling machines where ops folks don't like that a machine will tear the Web and have wrap-ups when estopped from 2000fpm to 0 in < 4 secs. If you really need that estop, the process is the least of your worries. If you're trying to engineer your machine to estop smoothly, you're missing the point, IMO. If the results of an estop are messy and kill production, remember they are only for.... (wait for it) EMERGENCIES!
[\RANT]

Well, AB has a line of contact blocks that are 3 position NO pull and NC maintain stop when pushed in. They serve the purpose of an ESTop and a stop in one (note that we use them for chains and have a marquee system to give the station number when pushed so someone can get there to fix the issue).

On machines themselves estops are a little different.

I was on site recently to do some program changes. Upon opening the cabinet I noticed some odd wiring, and checked the program to confirm... Yep, safety contactors removed from the safety relay and now put on the PLC outputs, feedback from the safety relay on a PLC input and some timers that made absolutely no sense whatsoever in the code. Effectively, they put a TON between the safety signal and the contactors, but the way it was written assumed that one contactor was for E-Stops and one for guard doors.

Moral of the story. We should stop putting E-stops on machines and let the problems sort themselves out. "I might be a commissioning engineer, but I can't fix stupid."

reminds me of that time when I accidentally pressed a E-stop in a conveyor belt with 18stations and 10 operators.

took like 20mins to restart production

Used as a JOKE!

Its quite funny to see the machinery that is around me at the moment does not even have an E-Stop. There is a Red Mushroom push button but the operators use it as a means to stop the air in the pneumatic cylinders. :confused:
And these machineries have been running since the past 15 years! Perhaps no one cares!!

Perhaps no one cares!!

I'd bet it's just that no one has gotten seriously hurt on that machinery yet. Wait until it does and you suddenly discover that everyone at the facility had been pushing tirelessly against a stone wall of bureaucracy for the last 15 years to install the very devices that would have prevented this horrible hypothetical injury.

I think the culture around safety is different in the US than it is elsewhere. Many places in Europe are pretty similar, but the things you see..

All in all, I don't want to burn my *** and get somebody hurt (myself especially :) )