Using a LinkSys AC1750 Router Hook to a 1769-L33ER

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

I'm working on a project , and this project has a fairly large control panel
with a 1769-L33ER processor. I would like to meet with the department operators but it is best to show them the operation remotely. Still learning routers , wireless , etc. I got a LinkSys AC1750 at Best Buy. What I thought I could do is plug my ethernet cable, from the L33ER into the Internet Port , then have the Router transmit to my laptop . But it seems to not work. There is 4 Ethernet Ports in the back of the Router.

I seem to be trying to use this in reverse. How do you guys setup a temporary wireless network so you can walk around when on a jobsite ?

Thanks again for your help.

In general, you want your wirelessly-connected laptop to be on the same IP subnet as the controller. The router will be acting as an ordinary wireless Access Point, not as a router to the Internet.

In this case, that means connecting the controller to the "local network" ports, not the Internet-facing port.

On WiFi you almost always use dynamic IP addressing (DHCP), so set up the LinkSys to be a DHCP Server, and make sure that the address range it's serving is on the same IP subnet (but excludes the exact IP) of the CompactLogix.

Also, if the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic doesn't work, try the "Ethernet Devices" driver, which does not rely on broadcast packets that might get filtered out by a router or access point.

Thanks Mr. Roach ,

I was going to try out your recommendation at home this weekend , but I got tied up . I will try it again on Monday .

Thanks again Sir ,

Cydog,

I just bought one myself and this device requires an internet connection with an assignable address.

in the advanced section, you might assign the system an ip address, but you still need to assign a wireless ssid, encryption scheme, passwords, and other items.

we use wireless access points to go from our main network to plc's that are on movable trolly's and they move a good distance.

james