You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old September 16th, 2020, 02:08 AM   #1
KWLB
Sweden

TIA Portal 13 over VPN won't let me connect to HMI

I have a machine with a S7-300 CPU and a TP1200 HMI panel set up for remote support through an mGuard VPN router.

I can set up the router connection without a problem and when I start TIA Portal it lets me go online to the CPU, but it cannot find the HMI. If I just ping the network adress of the HMI I get a response so there is something there to connect to, but TIA Portal won't let me connect to it.

I have talked to a technician on site with the machine and there are no issues with the HMI otherwise as far as he could tell.

Any ideas on how to approach this problem this would be appreciated.
Old September 16th, 2020, 02:41 AM   #2
matthew1
United States

Sounds like a port not configured in the firewall. WinCC dosent use port 102 for online connection. The PG operating system assigns the port I think.

To transfer project WinCC uses Ports 2308 and 50523.

You can telnet the IP with the port number and find out if the port is open. telnet will need to be enabled (most likley) under windows feature. After enabeling open CMD and enter - telnet IP.Address.Of.Device port#

Use the PLC connection as a test. port 102

netstat will also list your ports currently listening or connected when executed.

Mguard may block the telnet traffic also.
Old September 16th, 2020, 03:53 AM   #3
KWLB
Sweden

I could be wrong here but isn't the point of a VPN that it passes traffic through firewalls? As in, if I have a working VPN connection to the router then any firewalls will have been bypassed already,

And in the PLC cabinet there is just a network cable from the PLC to the VPN router. And I have already tried havingthe HMI plugged straight into the router, that did not change anything unfortunately.
Old September 16th, 2020, 04:24 AM   #4
BryanG
United Kingdom

Not used a Siemens HMI, so this is a wild guess. :-) With the PLCs when you do an 'extended download' there is a drop down box that lets you choose, 'Show all compatible devices', 'Show accessible devices' and 'Show devices with the same address'. I think it is the first two that won't work over a VPN, so you need to choose 'Show devices with the same address'. Is there anything like that for the HMI?
Old September 16th, 2020, 05:08 AM   #5
chud
South Africa

https://support.industry.siemens.com...=0&pageSize=10

Answer on siemens forum
Old September 16th, 2020, 05:10 AM   #6
Geoff White
Australia

What BryanG said. The same applies if you use a wireless connection.
Old September 16th, 2020, 05:23 AM   #7
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanG View Post
Not used a Siemens HMI, so this is a wild guess. :-) With the PLCs when you do an 'extended download' there is a drop down box that lets you choose, 'Show all compatible devices', 'Show accessible devices' and 'Show devices with the same address'. I think it is the first two that won't work over a VPN, so you need to choose 'Show devices with the same address'. Is there anything like that for the HMI?
Yes there is, and I agree that the latter is the best for connectring via VPN.

Also, for the Siemens HMIS I have had differing results when chosing PN/IE or Ethernet as the interface. Mostly Ethernet works best, but try both.

I use an E w 0 n Router which is similar to mguard. These VPN routers are intended for exactly this use, so typically they will already be setup to open the relevant ports. But if everything else fails, do investigate the ports.

Disclaimer: I think that the transfer dialog has changed a bit from V13 to V14 and to V15.
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:07 AM   #8
mk42
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanG View Post

another vote for this, if using the PN/IE driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post
Also, for the Siemens HMIS I have had differing results when chosing PN/IE or Ethernet as the interface. Mostly Ethernet works best, but try both.

Also, MAKE SURE IT MATCHES between the PG and HMI. Ethernet driver probably makes more sense, since the IP is known, but having someone verify what the panel is actually set for is a good idea.
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:19 AM   #9
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
Also, MAKE SURE IT [PN/IE or Ethernet] MATCHES between the PG and HMI.
How is this set on the HMI ? Is PN/IE set when Operating mode is set to "IO Device" and otherwise it defaults to Ethernet ? Or .. ?
Old September 16th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #10
janner_10
United Kingdom

Over VPN, you won't be able to go online with the HMI, only download to it.

You can with the PLC though.
Old September 16th, 2020, 02:40 PM   #11
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post
How is this set on the HMI ? Is PN/IE set when Operating mode is set to "IO Device" and otherwise it defaults to Ethernet ? Or .. ?

You change it in the Transfer settings window of the control panel (see screen shot). PN/IE is at the top of the list, Ethernet is at the bottom. In their infinite wisdom, they are not compatible.

As far as I know, IO Device activates the "Direct Keys" feature, which allows you to use the function keys of the panel as IO to the PLC. I think it maps the LEDs to outputs as well. The feature was useful on the key panels, I'm not sure how the feature maps to touch.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-09-16 14_15_11-.png (48.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by mk42; September 16th, 2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum