EDS files L32E.

Hi & Welcome to the Forum!

smichaud said:
...We have an old RSLinx Classic (Revision 2.54.00.11 CPR 9 SR 1). We would like to make sure to have the good version of the EDS files for a CompactLogix 1769-L32E...

Did you read my post #7 above? If so, have you tried to follow my advice? Can you access the technote I linked?

smichaud said:
...Do you think that the version we find in internet could be ok for our old RSLinx or we really should have an older revision that we are not able to find anymore in internet?...

I'm not sure where on the Internet you are referring to, but I can guarantee you that the files attached in the technote above are both official and a "one-stop-shop" for the EDS files related to the 1769 CompactLogix family of controllers and modules, up to revision 20.

With regard to revisions - the package of EDS files, that I'm advising you to download and register, includes all CompactLogix controller related EDS files, from revision 13-20.

smichaud said:
...We know we could change our RSLinx but it works well with all other 1769-L32E we have, except one and we noticed that its icones in RSLinx is not the same than the other...

When dealing with equipment predating the introduction of the newer EDS Subsystem (circa revision 20), the highest version I would advise users to go to is RSLinx Classic v2.59. The next version released after this was version 3.51, and this version introduced the new EDS Subsystem. That is just some general advice. You should not need to upgrade to v2.59 here just to resolve your single controller issue. But v2.59 should also work fine with all of your 1769-L32E controllers.

You have not clarified what you mean by the icon for the controller being "not the same"? Do you mean, for instance, it's displaying as a Yellow "?" with no Red "X"? Can you connect to this controller?

My best guess here is that you can connect to the controller but you are just missing the correct EDS file. It's possible that this controller might be at a different firmware revision to the other controllers whose icon displays correctly. Or, it is a different hardware Series to the others. There are separate EDS files required to be registered on your workstation computer for the different hardware Series and firmware revisions.

1769-L32E Series A support firmware revision 13-20.
1769-L32E Series B support firmware revision 16-20.

As an example, your controller could be a Series A firmware revision 15. The others are Series B firmware revision 17. Your workstation does not have the Series A revision 15 EDS files registered. But that example could be possible the other way around.

In other words, there is every chance that you simply need an older, or newer, revision EDS file(s), just for this controller. But, this helps to hammers home the advice I always give here. Don't waste your time trying to figure out how many files, and at which revision, you might need. Just download the EDS package in the technote above and register them all, and get on with your day.

Don't forget to clarify what you see for the icon though. This can help determine if there is more to this than a missing EDS file.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi Geospark,

Yes I read you message but I can't access to your technote. Could you send it to me? [email protected]

The .eds files we found were on the ab.com site but they looks for newer revision and our rs linx doesn't accept them. I have just found the eds file for the our 20.12 PLC revision. And when we download it, it's the 20.19 plc revision, so I suppose that includes our 20.12 revision. Hope it will work good with our old rslinx version.

I added two attach files about our icons: the "Problem" file shows the icons that we get with our "bad PLC" and the "Good" shows the icons about a "nice PLC". We don't know if it's the hasard...

This controller is a revision 20.12, Serie A
Another controller is revision 17.4, but we can't stop the process for the moment to know the serie.

The problem occurs once, some hours each time we restart the process, so we'll see next week if it works.

Thanks

Problem.JPG Good.JPG

Last edited:
Your screenshot of the problematic controller browse is definitely worth keeping!

I'll display it here so we can view it while reading...

Problem.JPG...
Problem.JPG

And to compare I'll display the healthy controller browse...

Good.JPG...
Good.JPG

Because I'm feeling a little lazy, I'll quote myself from an old post to explain briefly what we're looking at above...

Geospark said:
...The older CompactLogix are complicated at the backplane level. You browse in through the embedded Ethernet port as though it is a bridge module in the chassis. It's fixed as slot 01. The processor is 00, and virtual backplane, or virtual adapter (VA) is slot 03. The VA is then the CompactBus, which starts again under that with a VA at slot 00. You then browse your actual I/O modules here on this virtual sub-backplane, starting at slot 01, and so on...

Apart from the icons you mentioned as being "not the same", had you not noticed that some of the devices being called out in the 1769 backplane browse are incorrectly displaying as a "1756 module"? In case you are not aware, 1756 is the catalog number prefix for the ControlLogix family of controllers. 1769 being the catalog prefix number for the CompactLogix family of controllers. Two very different architectures.

If we look at the healthy backplane browse, we can see that the controller instance in slot 00 is correctly displayed as "CompactLogix Processor", followed by the user assigned controller name " WULFTEC". In slot 01 we can see the correct "1769-L32E Ethernet Port" is displayed. Also, in slot 03, we can see the correct Virtual Adapter instance displayed as "Local 1769 Bus Adapter, VA1769/A". We can also see that both the processor and the CompactBus are expandable (+).

If we look to the unhealthy backplane browse, we can see that the controller instance in slot 00 is incorrectly displayed as "1756 module", followed by the user assigned controller name "WULFTEC_SKY2". In slot 01 we can also see the correct "1769-L32E Ethernet Port" is displayed, so that is OK. But next, in slot 03, again we see the Virtual Adapter instance for the CompactBus is also incorrectly displayed as "1756 module, VA1769/A". Also notice how nothing is expandable (no +).

1756 modules cannot be physically added to a 1769 backplane. As such, 1756 module instances cannot be added to the 1769 backplane in the project. In fact, and as my quote explains, the backplane is not where we add modules to a CompactLogix system. The backplane structure is fixed. We add modules under the Virtual Adapter, or CompactBus. But likewise, we cannot add 1756 modules here, only 1769 modules, or their equivalent. When trying to select module profiles to add to the 1769 CompactBus, the software filters out all but valid modules.

Even if we could add 1756 modules to the higher level 1769 backplane, slot 00 is reserved for the 1769 CompactLogix processor module, as is slot 03 for the 1769 CompactBus (VA). The point being, the configuration shown in your screenshot is not only invalid, but actually impossible to configure.

The only way I can see for this to have happened is corruption?

It's possible that the "Harmony" files for RSLinx Classic are corrupt and need to be flushed and recreated. So I would advise you to try that first...

769010 - RSLinx Classic: Clearing cache by deleting Harmony files
Access Level: Everyone

Pay attention to backing up the driver configuration for RSLinx Classic before clearing the cache, else you'll have to recreate the drivers.

If that doesn't do it, then maybe your RSLogix 5000 v20 offline project file image is corrupted? To try resolve this, you can make a copy of the original ACD project file and then open the copy. Then save it as an L5K file format. Close and reopen RSLogix 5000 and import the L5K file and save it as an ACD file, naming it whatever you wish. If this happens to be the resolution to the issue, then I would also perform an upload from the controller into this project file to correlate the offline and online images.

Note that if this 1769-L32E controller is otherwise operating properly in the real world, then the likely corruption here is only present in the software installed on your workstation computer.

Also note that I am not completely ruling out the possibility of there still being an EDS file issue here. But first I would definitely start with the above and see how you fare?

Regards,
George