Red Lion Crimson 3, Concat 3 strings to make a new one.

Edmhydraulics

Hey all, is there a way with Crimson where I can Concat 3 different string tags into a new tag.

Something like:

Filename = (partnumber + serialnumber + test type)

Please let me know.

Thanks

Yes, pretty much just like your example. Use the "+" operator with strings. Use quotation marks around literal strings.

You describe it as a new tag, but it would actually be the data contents of a CString type of tag.

Note that if you want to concatenate tags that are numeric or flag types you can use the property ".AsText" appended to the tag name. So if PartNumber and Serial are numeric tags, and you want to make them into a single string:

Newstring := PartNumber.AsText + Serial.AsText

You can also use the DecToText() command to convert a numeric value to a string, which gives you control of how the number is formatted. See the reference manual for details on the syntax.

Thanks guys this is very helpful, I was able to concat the strings I needed. What I am trying to do is create a file name using the 3 different strings, this seems to work well, but when I go over 8 characters in the file name it adds a period and the remaining characters after the period so that pretty much wont work.

Can I create a file folder on the SD card such as Workorder/serial_number and then save the a bmp file into the file folder. I have tried the file create functions, but again I cant seem to get it to work. As well, the system doesnt really seem to like when there are numbers in any of the strings.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys this is very helpful, I was able to concat the strings I needed. What I am trying to do is create a file name using the 3 different strings, this seems to work well, but when I go over 8 characters in the file name it adds a period and the remaining characters after the period so that pretty much wont work.

Can I create a file folder on the SD card such as Workorder/serial_number and then save the a bmp file into the file folder. I have tried the file create functions, but again I cant seem to get it to work. As well, the system doesnt really seem to like when there are numbers in any of the strings.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure you have answered your own question. As far as I remember, the file system doesn't allow the folders or filenames to be more than 8 characters. I believe it uses FAT16.

As well, the system doesnt really seem to like when there are numbers in any of the strings.
Numeric characters should not be a problem in filenames. Of course, they need to be in string format.
"string" + "56" will return "string56"
"string" + 56 will probably return "string8" since 56 is the ASCII code for character "8".

As mentioned previously, names of files and folders are limited to 8 characters with the G3 system.