Positive displacement flow totalizers

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a CIP I am working on to acquire data about our oil consumption for our process, but also bearing oils.

I wanted to make a flow totalizer a part of it, but have had poor luck so far.

I am to blame for the poor luck, as I bought flow meters that were not designed for low flow systems.

The system is pressurized oil, that refills tanks, when the valves on the supply tanks open. 12gpm max air pump maintains the pressure in the line, and the trunk is 3/4".

I am now looking into a positive displacement totalizer/transducer, but wanting to hear some opinions if anyone has experience.

I am thinking although the trunk line is 3/4", for precision of measurement, I may adapt the line down to 1/2" as the smaller the transducer the more precise measurement of the flow. Most of the feed valves for the system are probably 1/4", but multiple can be turned on simultaneously. I highly doubt flow will ever approach 12gpm.

Could you detect the level changes in the receiving tanks or monitor the change in weight of those tanks?

positive displacement means a quantified amount per 'shot' of the pump so could you just measure pump operations and calculate pump shots per minute?

EDIT Sorry i see you put totaliser not pump

Last edited: