Omron TIM

Andy Veitch

Hi,
Trying to get my head around the TIM instruction on a Omron CP1E plc.
The maximum set valve is 9999 which is only 9.9 seconds. (BCD )
What if I want a timer to run for 4 hours ( 14400 sec )

What can I use ?
Can I change the timer base from milliseconds to seconds?

Please tell me there is another timer I can just type the amount of seconds into.

Regards
Andy

The TIM instruction is actually a 100mS timer so would range up to 999.9s. Alternately you can use the TIMX instruction which utilizes the Binary range (rather than BCD) up to 6553.5 sec. But that doesn't answer your need for a 4 hour timer.

I've never been real fond of the TIML instruction for long time periods. I prefer to roll my own using the P_1s (CF102) or P_1min (CF104) system bits to increment an integer.

Hi Moggie,

I don't seem to have the option of the TIML.
I have the following TIM or TIMX.

I've got a feeling I am going to have to use a 1 second counter.

Andy

On a Omron timer in BCD mode, counts are incremented every 100mS.
So that's 10 counts a second. Check out the Omron programming manuals or instruction help file for more details. They explain it very well.

The TIML(553) instruction is supported for the CP1E using CX-Programmer v9.6. Not sure why you would be having a problem using it.

Not a fan of TIML - restrictions. Use a 1 second or 1 minute pulse into a counter. Easiest way for mine.

On a Omron timer in BCD mode, counts are incremented every 100mS.
So that's 10 counts a second. Check out the Omron programming manuals or instruction help file for more details. They explain it very well.

OK, I can see where I've gone wrong. it's actually number of 100msec counts that you enter not actual millisecs.

Thanks for explaining that.

Andy

Another approach is to have a scheduled task that runs once every second (or minute) based on the internal clock bits P_1s or P_1min. With a task of this type you can do whatever is needed at a fixed interval.