Reading/ Learning - Modbus/EthernetIP/EtherCAT

Esieli

Does anyone have any books or lessons they recommend to help someone dive deeper into these common protocols and how they work?

I would like to understand more about how data is sent, processed, and handled by the protocols. I already know how to get the settings right on the PLC or Robot, but just would like a better understanding.

Thanks!

If you have an employer to pony up the cash for textbooks; "Industrial Communication Technology Handbook" has a fairly in-depth coverage of Modbus, CIP & EtherCAT (the section covering the last one is smaller than the full CIP and Modbus chapters)

I have no association with the website or the instructor, but there's a good modbus online course at Udemy.com. Right now it's like $10 per course.

I have experience with Modbus and Ethernet/IP, not with EtherCAT

Modbus is a very simple protocol that only transmits bits and 16bit words, here explains the sequences of bytes that the different functions use.

Ethernet/IP is much more complicated and to obtain the complete specification you have to be a member of ODVA, it is not free.
In addition, ODVA only defines how CIP packets are transmitted but not the final content of those packets. To know for example how the value of a ControlLogix Tag is transmitted you should read Rockwell's specifications.

And in my opinion your list misses a protocol with a lot of future: OPC UA. Compared to the previous ones is much more complicated but at least the documentation is free and clear but very extensive, I think that there are 12 volumes with some thousand pages in total.

I am using Ethernet IP remote I/O on most jobs these days and it is pretty good. That being said Ethernet still carries a lot of rubbish and my biggest issue is IR always want to own it and incorporate it in their networking system. This causes huge problems sometimes - industrial networks should be kept on their own.

I am using Ethernet IP remote I/O on most jobs these days and it is pretty good. That being said Ethernet still carries a lot of rubbish and my biggest issue is IR always want to own it and incorporate it in their networking system. This causes huge problems sometimes - industrial networks should be kept on their own.

I'm not sure why you would want to use anything other than Ethernet. I.T. has made sooooo many useful tools for diagnostics or even setting up layers in a networks.

If you were interested in hands-on training, I have given classes on the inner workings of Ethernet/IP and Modbus. I generally focus on HMI software training, but do get special requests to dive into the protocols. Understanding the workings of Ethernet/IP can be extremely useful. It gives you a clearer understanding of what is happing in the PLC and gives you an understanding of all the jargon such as classes, instance, and attributes.