Flex 2005

10baseT

Now I may be missing something but.....
I have installed flex on a PC with S7 5.3 and no protool . So far so good , I've opened an existing project that has an MP370 which was created in Protool (on another machine) I've converted the project , and it shows as an HMI station in S7 .
All no problem , but I want to integrate Flex in S7 , and I recall comments about flex not being able to integrate with S7 whilst Protool is integrated . Now , my problem is that without Protool on this machine , I can't remove the integration , and therefore can't integrate flex .
Of course I can remove the integration flag on another PC , but maybe I'm missing something really fundamental with this .
Does anyone have any experience with protool 6.0 sp3 - whilst I am full of the joys of Flex , to be honest , protool has always proved to be adequate for my use - the only reason I have upgraded to Flex is that my Local Siemens rep said that Flex was necessary to allow connection of an ethernet equiped MP to a PLC over ethernet - I still have my doubts that this is the case !
For the moment I'm running flex on and old PC670 with 500mhz processor and about 256mb of RAM , and it is making it growl a bit ! when i'm sure that it is good for me , then I'll add it to my programming PC.

Last edited:
Hi,
This does seem to be a grey area at the moment, I spoke to siemens with regard to Flex installed with protool/without protool, One integrated,Switching integration etc, One thing that seems to screw things up is uninstalling protool and leaving Step 7 installed, Then loading flex and also service packs. I'm gonna try a complete reload and see how i go, ideally i need both Protool & Flex installed and be able to switch integration.

My laptop has 1GB ram and 2.2GHZ P4m and this software is still slow!!! minimum requirement is supposed to be 512mb for 2005 version.

The ethernet part sounds a bit fishy, If the rep is anything like mine, they really are pushing flex even though most things are possible with protool.

Regards
STL

Thanks for the reply - I'm glad I tried it out before installing it on the work laptop - it seems OK , but I can get protool to do most of what I need . Siemens are a bit naughty , I had a customer some time back who wanted to have the MP370 on ethernet , and after much protesting , I was sold a copy of Simatic Net - even though it has no use in this event , so the next stage after much waffling by Siemens was Wincc Flex , and there will be much growling if , as I suspect that whatever happens , it is not possible to use it to configure and ethernet connection to the MP .

Thankfully my laptop is 2.8ghz with a gig of ram , it has taken me weeks to get it the way I want , as I also do a lot with AB , and to get all the software installed without conflicts is a pain . I fell another ghost coming on before I look at installing flex , as I have some major doubts !!!!

The above is the case , if protool is not installed , then the project cannot be un-integrated .

For what it is worth - anyone wanting to instal flex should check that their PC has it's network name in all CAPITALS and the user name as well - if the SQL server falls over during installation , it is hell to put it right .
The other point is make temporarily share a drive , it also has an effect if sharing is disabled .