ML1100 communication mess

spaceacealpha

I'm trying to install a Mecco printer to talk to the RS232 port on the ML1100. However, the Mecco is only good for ODD parity. Thus I've worked and worked with Mecco to fix this with a firmware update to change thier printer to a NONE parity. This is only the beginning of my issues. I still couldn't communicate info from the ML1100. I hooked up HyperTerminal via 1761-CBL-PM02 cable with a null modem connector and I'm not getting anything out of the ML1100. I've checked settings. I've got 9600 N 8 1 on both sides. The AWT file says its sending my data (1 and 10 char toggling). Is my comm port fried?

Can't help with the printer or Hyper Terminal but to check your com port I would try and establish comms with RSLinx and then go online with RSLogix 500 and this I would think would verify if the port is go or bad.
Also, there is a DCOM button on the front of the ML1100 that will place the com port back to factory default in-case it has been configured for something else but I suggest reading the manual on this.

Hope this helps

Port your progra. Zip it first forum rules. If you can PDF it I will take a look at it. On a job and don't have my laptop with me.

1761-CBL-PM02 cable with a null modem connector
?

The 1761-CBL-PM02 is a null-modem cable. If you put a null-modem adapter on it then it's now a straight thru, is that what you want?

I tried to get info out to HyperTerminal with and without the adapter. The original printer, a Dapra, used the same cable and adapter. Looks like I should not need the adapter. The D sub connector has pin 3 for TXD and pin 2 for RXD. The Mecco Pin 3 is RX and Pin 2 is TX so that should line up correctly.

I'm trying to install a Mecco printer to talk to the RS232 port on the ML1100. However, the Mecco is only good for ODD parity.
Ascii protocol let you chose between odd, even and no parity.
Hyperterminal should work with full duplex, I suggest to try to connect first you pc to your plc thru df1 to confirm that both ports are working ok, then try other options.
What version of rslinx are you using ??

Hooked up the same cable and success on communication with RSLinx so the port is fine. So ASCII will send my text? I'll try ASCII! I though ASCII was for special protocol like talking to a Mitutoyo gage.

I had to print to an old OkiData from the 1100 one time. I configured it ASCII and still had no luck. An old school IT guy came around and told me to try the actual old ASCII commands. I think the one he suggested (and worked) was shift+enter at the end of my text line. It won't show up in your logic (the IO tree I think), but it did work for some reason. I hope this helps. Maybe someone else could add some other input if this triggers the thought.

-Dustin