OIBuilder is a truly amazing HMI software

Archie's AdvancedHMI is not quite open source either, its driver & controls are closed source.

Some of the code are in DLLs, but Archie is usually pretty good about giving the code out for the controls if you ask. He's done that for me quite a few times. What about OI? Ask them for their code and see what they say, then report back.

Running on their hardware is a deal breaker, I wouldn't even visit their website.

Archie's AdvancedHMI is not quite open source either, its driver & controls are closed source.
And yet, the drivers are provided free of charge. You can purchase all of their controls by scrimping and saving for the hefty price of thirty USD.

Since OIBuilder is running on Busybox, does that technically should make their software open source?
Running on Busybox (or any Linux distro) does not equate to open source. Advanced HMI can run under Mono. That does not mean it's open source, either. It just means you don't have to worry about Windows licenses.

That AutomationIG no longer provides a download link is a bit concerning, as there is now no way to properly compare the two.

Running on their hardware is a deal breaker, I wouldn't even visit their website.

I've thought about this a moment. It's not really any different than most other 'mainstream' HMI supplier in that regard (e.g. Rockwell, Omron, EZ, Weintek, etc.).

And yet, the drivers are provided free of charge. You can purchase all of their controls by scrimping and saving for the hefty price of thirty USD.

And yes, I did support Archie by buying Archie's driver (In case you did not know. Archie does sell a driver for $200). Did you?

Looks guy, I am not bashing Archie's AdvancedHMI. If you goto AAHMI site, you see that I am a believer and follower of his and saying is not better than practice, so I support him by buying his software driver.

But what I was saying here, years ago, I was using OIBuilder and I was amazed at how small that is with only a few files, I was able to make HMI screens with full feature like I mentioned above. Now If you ever install FactoryView , you know how collosal that is and how long it takes to install the darn software.

I personally didn't get the impressions that you had some stake in OIBuilder, maybe that's because I'm more familiar with your contributions over at the AdvancedHMI forum.

This is kind of the problem with e-communications, it's easy to misunderstand.

And yes, I did support Archie by buying Archie's driver (In case you did not know. Archie does sell a driver for $200). Did you?
Huh. I didn't realize we were keeping score...

Are you talking about the standalone driver? If so, then no. While I firmly believe in compensation for work, I also believe in only paying for things I actually use. Hooray for capitalism!

Personally, I'm an Ignition guy. But I'm also a what-is-best-for-the-application guy, and have pointed people to AHMI when the situation calls for it.

BachPi, your tone was and remains very unprofessional.

We all are just human and all have our preferences and likes. We all often express them here - this is in part what this place is for.

But we always try to present our opinions in such form that does not look like pushing one product and bashing others. Sometimes we may overlook that in a foreigner whose command of English is less than perfect and who deserves points just for trying. But not in someone who for all intents a purposes appears to be a native English speaker and an American.