SICK safety floor scanner communication problems

:ROFLMAO: Help us to help you!

Which model?
What is the error?
How are you trying to connect?

etc etc etc

It's a pls, using a null 232 on com 1. The software "communication wizard" helps you get nowhere. I know rslinx will hog com 1 on other apps, but that's not it, I was hopeing it was something like... When connecting to an ENI you have to connect during a power up. But that's not it either. That I learned the hard way, as with most things, though.

Do you have access to their tech support line ? I worked with many of SICK's start-up techs, who were ultra-knowledgeable, and when they were in the office, they answered the phones on the tech help line- you might have to call your distrib. first to get the number (I've changed jobs and lost the 800(?) number... We usually used the CLV scanners though.

Have you your checked your serial port settings ? 9600/8/N/1 type stuff ?

-John

Here is the manual:
http://www.lpc-uk.com/sick/file1.pdf

P41 details RS232 cable pinout - check it against your cable.
P45 details the procedure to connect to a PLS via PLS/LSI software.

Is the scanner working ok? if it is kaput you wont be able to talk to it to run diagnostics.