Am I being daft?

Secret

Morning all

I've hunted around FT View Studio with no luck, all I am trying to do is rotate text by 90 deg but can't see how to do it. The rotate function allows you to select a text field but not rotate it?

It's a simple thing but I doesn't seem it's supported.

As a work around I have created images of text rotated with paint but it would be easier to do it on the screen itself.

Any ideas?

No, you are not being daft, Rockwell are...

69368 - Can text be rotated in FactoryTalk View or RSView32 applications?
Access Level: TechConnect

You are using the best workaround, unfortunately.

Regards,
George

Yep if they could rotate text and search/replace text (easily) I would say they finally passed Wonderware on my favorites list.
And if Wonderware let you drill into a group I would never use FTView again.

According to the Help, you can apply Rotation Animation to Text objects.

I've just tried it without success.....

Yeah...it rotates the "text object" - but the not the text itself. Same with the standard rotate control - if you look carefully you can see that it IS rotating the object, but the text stays anchored up one way.

I wonder how much code went into making text rotation work differently to every other object's rotation?

The inability to do this has been annoying me for years. That "Rotate" is more like a radial translation more that a rotation itself. All it does is allow you to shift the text object about a centre point - Useless!

Come on FTV 9, please allow us to rotate things correctly!

Yeah...it rotates the "text object" - but the not the text itself. Same with the standard rotate control - if you look carefully you can see that it IS rotating the object, but the text stays anchored up one way.

I wonder how much code went into making text rotation work differently to every other object's rotation?

It would take almost no code. The ability is built right into Windows GDI, and has been forever. It is just that Rockwell is still pushing an overpriced, buggy, bloated codebase from 25+ years ago.

Basically, the (cough) "Developers" at Rockwell are just pushing out useless "New Versions", without fixing ANY of the borked functionality from when View was first introduced. They are completely incompetent.

Yep if they could rotate text and search/replace text (easily) I would say they finally passed Wonderware on my favorites list.
And if Wonderware let you drill into a group I would never use FTView again.

Regarding Wonderware, ArchestrA Graphics have been around since 2007 and fully support editing elements in a group (including animations) without the need to break the group. And every graphic element type can be free rotated. Just saying...

another workaround is this activex control which rotates Labels
Rotate Label ActiveX Control (v2.0)
http://access.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0048.htm

works under Windows 10/64 with FTV 9
- To register a 32-bit dll or ocx Windows System file in a 64-bit version of Windows 10
1. Copy the RotateLabelVer2.ocx to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
2. Open a command promt as administrator, go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3. Run the command "regSvr32 RotateLabelVer2.ocx"
4. Now it says DllRegisterServer succeeded and it appear in FTV Studio

Nice!...

Thanks for that update crawler009. Very useful.

crawler009 said:
another workaround is this activex control which rotates Labels
Rotate Label ActiveX Control (v2.0)...

I thought I'd click on the original technote I linked earlier just to see had Rockwell come up with any solutions since themselves...

69368 - FactoryTalk View SE/ME or RSView32: rotate text or .bmp
Access Level: TechConnect

They have not. But, I've since noticed, in the comments of that technote, that a member has, in 2017, after I linked the technote here, also linked the same ActiveX Control as you now have, albeit an older link. Incidentally, I notice in that link it says the Author, Stephen Lebans, has been retired since 2009. A happy belated retirement Sir!

So at least users searching the Knowledgebase will now also have access to the same information as you have provided here, if they have TechConnect?...

You must pay Rockwell to find out that they are suffering from FTV TRIPE (Text Rotational Inadequacy Pulmonary Embolism).

Very nasty indeed.

(That one is dedicated to rdrast)

Regards,
George