PLC to SQL

Hi,

I just want to give my 5 cents of suggestions to this thread as well:
If it is a Siemens PLC, you could use a module called PLCSQL Link. It is a set of Siemens STEP7 blocks that you parameterize to your needs and download to the PLC. It works with all Siemens S7 PLC's that has a network port. It doesn't require any pc with driver or OPC server in between.
See www.plcsql-link.com

Otherwise you could use VB in most SCADA systems (as suggested by others above as well) to do archieve the same as well. But the problem with VB is, that if you need to make any changes to the fields you want transferred, then you need to change your VB code. And the problem with the VB implementation in most SCADA systems (Including RSView and WinCC/Flexible) is, that it is singlethreaded, so if something happens, the whole program freezes. Error handling is not an easy task to implement in VB.

well it seems the options are limitless. perhaps a make and model would help narrow it down?

No it would not make any deference at all, the actual sensor is completely irrelevant .

The sensor has no effect on how to store a boolean value from a PLC to a SQL server.

Asking for pointless detail is just as bad as not including needed detail.

The PLC model doesn't matter either as long as we are talking in general terms about how this could be done.

Only if specific detail is requested about how to implement a particular PLC makes the model relevant at all.

If the OP asks a general question , give a general answer and move on, if he wants more detail, he will give more detail.

Last edited:
Kepserver OPC server has database connectivity you can download a trial that is limited to 2 hours you can use the relevant PLC Driver. The configuration of the Data logger is reasonably simple and data can be logged on time or by I/O or by conditions, for example when a bit in the plc goes high log the variables. The cost of a driver is around £600 not sure of the cost of the Data Logger function or if it is enabled on purchasing a driver licence.