Latest Rumor

BachPhi

Orangeburg, SC - :geek:In a latest conference call with some boring and uncool analysts,
Elon M. expressed his fully desire to bring his TESLA company from public traded to a 'private entity'.
There is also a strong possibility that Manufacturing Automation company which is AdvancedHMI's parent company, will be brought in to help increase the model 3 production rate to the tent's roof.
Rockwell executives are now paying more attention to this rare news and hence has been scrambling to salvage their most important deal of the year, and in so doing heating up a brutal bidding trade war.
In other Fool news of Aup'ril, Beta 13 will be available as the last free version to be offered to the general public. :mad::rolleyes:

<--- Work in Orangeburg.
And that was why I read this post :)

Actually, I have less than zero interest in a Tesla. We have at least one at work here with one, but for me, I have no interest. Not interested in any purely electric vehicle; at least until the range is at least 400 miles, and charges take no longer then filling a normal gas tank.

I have no interest. Not interested in any purely electric vehicle; at least until the range is at least 400 miles, and charges take no longer then filling a normal gas tank.

The only solution that I've seen that seems even remotely feasible (from the user end) is if every manufacturer standardizes on the batteries in such a way that they can be easily swapped in and out of cars, like propane tanks. I'm imagining some kind of automated pull though system like a car wash: pull in, probably pay a flat rate regardless of how much charge you have remaining, your battery is swapped out for a guaranteed fully charged one, drive out the other side.

Since propane tanks are cheap and battery packs are crazy expensive, plus I can't imagine the car companies all agreeing to some standard...

The odds that this happens are slim.

Funny this, I was talking to a Siemens representative a few months ago and he was saying that Siemens is investing in capacitor technology instead of batteries as they believe a capacitor is the answer to EV's range issue.

A capacitor can be charged fairly quickly compared to a battery, it's really a matter of keeping charge.

If my interactions with Rockwell are anything to go by, it's completely sure that they're going to screw things up.

<--- Work in Orangeburg.
And that was why I read this post :)

Actually, I have less than zero interest in a Tesla. We have at least one at work here with one, but for me, I have no interest. Not interested in any purely electric vehicle; at least until the range is at least 400 miles, and charges take no longer then filling a normal gas tank.

That's where the automated battery swapping stations in the future will be great. Getting low just pull in and swap. Just pay for the energy you used. Tesla already has the swapping technology built in and they can swap 2 cars battery in the time it takes to fill up a Audi A8. There is a youtube of them doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0wnpyhF8

I drove our company leased model S from Los Angeles to Dallas and back and only had to stop 3 times a day. 30 minutes in the morning, an hour for lunch and 30 minutes in the afternoon. Was a very easy and free trip. Nice quite ride all the way. That said I can only go where they have the supercharge stations. But they are building more all the time. Just put a new one in not far from my office, so sometimes we go there for lunch and get a free charge.

Last edited:
++1 for Cardosocea. I like that technology much better. I can just see this (+1 for rdrast--I have no interest in electric vehicles either) you'll be in an accident and the battery fluid/gel/material will cause environmental issues, it will injure the occupants/bystanders/first responders, the towing companies will not want to mess with leaking electric vehicles, not to mention the enormous bureaucracy in getting battery manufacturers on board for standardization. States could put intensive restrictions on battery safety/usage/construction guidelines and thus cause the price to skyrocket. The list is endless. I would say maybe 5 more years to get a production model that would do what rdrast said plus get the public on board and still command a viable market share of automotive sales to keep a company in business. Maybe I'm just wrong.

+...you'll be in an accident and the battery fluid/gel/material will cause environmental issues, it will injure the occupants/bystanders/first responders, the towing companies will not want to mess with leaking electric vehicles...

Not that I've got much of a strong opinion either way, but we already have that problem with regular cars. Fuel, oil, coolant...all various levels of toxic and hazardous

not to mention the enormous bureaucracy in getting battery manufacturers on board for standardization.
There already are standardized battery sizes for mainstream cars. Along with other things like oil filters, tire sizes, lightbulbs, ... seems like a problem that can be easily solved.

Last edited: