WinCC - symbol library

luccass

Hi guys!
Last few days I've been spending on self learning WinCC (NOT Flex - 'normal' WinCC).
Having previous experience with other SCADA package and knowing what will be needed in future I want to find out how to create my own, re-usable symbols.
Symbols already supplied with the package are not 100% what we want, but I thought that building new ones shouldn't be difficult.
It looks like - it is, at least for me.
All the symbols in Library are 'simple' - I mean e.g. valve is represented as valve symbol only, no description, no other data available next to it.
What I will need is a symbol, tagname as a text above it, then numerical value below (for actual position, speed, etc.), some other symbol like 'hand', etc. Everything should be considered as one symbol. Ideally all symbol colour, behaviour, etc. should be programmed at symbol level and only one thing that is given to symbol after it has been placed on a picture is a (complex) tag name.
Has anyone managed to create something like this before? I do realise that using script language is necessary, but that's fine. I would appreciate if anyone could show me the right direction.

ps. has anyone tried to write any activeX control that can be used in WinCC project?

many thanks!

Did you check out the Faceplate Designer?
Here is a link, but I believe the manual is automatically installed on your PC (not sure, because I have only installed WinCC with PCS7).

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/18978178

Kalle

Thanks for the link.
I had a quick look but couldn't quite familiarize with it without good manual. Now I shall see what PCS7 manuals are saying. Thanks a lot!

Are you sure that what I need can be done using faceplates?

Yes, that is how it is done in PCS7 also. During os-compile PCS7 links automatically the right icon/symbol/faceplate to the right structure tag (given by the FB number and an icon number property - you can have alternative symbols).
When you run plain wincc, I guess you have to connect the structuretag manually, probably you'll find a wizzard in the graphics designer. (I am not on solid ground here - only worked with the PCS7 integrated system.)

Kalle

Yes, that is how it is done in PCS7 also. During os-compile PCS7 links automatically the right icon/symbol/faceplate to the right structure tag (given by the FB number and an icon number property - you can have alternative symbols).
When you run plain wincc, I guess you have to connect the structuretag manually, probably you'll find a wizzard in the graphics designer. (I am not on solid ground here - only worked with the PCS7 integrated system.)

Kalle

Thanks! Will give it a go then :)

Do you mean .emf -files?
I draw symbols with CAD. Then I take screen shot and cutting
it with some image program for saving as BMP, JPG etc.
Finally "ABC Amber Image Converter" program converts it to .emf.
Graphic tool in WinCC is not very good for me.