Multiple Monitors in Factory for Production Display

brettshelley

Hi Guys,

I have quoted a customer on production displays inside the factory. In the past I have used a GOT terminal with the VGA out card so that the 55" monitor displays the HMI page or using an industrial PC with SoftGOT.

I have now received info that another competitor has quoted cheaper using a Beckhoff Panel PC that can, and I quote from email ---

Basically the system operates on an Ethernet protocol – hence the wiring is very simple.
The system is easily expandable.
We offer a device that will convert the Ethernet signals into the Video signal for the displays.

So instead of me using ten GOT's with VGA out to each monitor, this guy says he can do this with one FX PLC, a Beckhoff Panel PC that is connected to 10 monitors that will each display its own production data via Ethernet to VGA ??

Is this possible and is there a better solution with Mitsubishi??

Best regards and looking forward to answers,

Brett Shelley

You could use a distributor like this

http://www.siig.com/av-products/splitters-distribution-amplifiers/vga/1x8-vga-splitter.html

The VGA over IP like this.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/StarTech.com-Ethernet-to-VGA-over-IP-Converter/2281769.aspx#PO

Lots of ways to skin that Cat. If you have 10 displays I would be using an HMI package that has a Web client then get some small thin clint PC's to go on or near each 55" display and all over Ethernet.

Much easier than distributing VGA. And why VGA? Looks crummy on a large screen DVI, HDMI, or Displayport is much better. Most 55" inch display will have 2 out of the 3 I listed if not all 3.

I cannot believe that they can display different images on multiple displays via ethernet to dumb displays.

How is this possible ???

With one HMI you can display a different page on each monitor???

This one has me!!

we have several monitors that has 4 screens on it at the same time. the guy who does it juje left for vacation, else i would ask him.

we also have a monitor that has multiple pages using webpages.

regards,
james

My guess is that your competitor is planning to use the CP-Link 3 technology in Multiple Desktop or Extended Desktop mode.

http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?highlights/cplink/default.htm

It looks great on paper, but I'm very curious about how well it works in real life.

In my experience, when a vendor says "up to 10 desktops", they mean it can do ten desktops with the most powerful server they sell, at the lowest frame rate.

I agree with all the comments given !

I cannot see how one HMI can deliver different pages to 10 screens ???

My original quote was one HMI per screen as I could add in the VGA out card.

I will contact Beckhoff to see if this is possible.

PS. Anyone else done this would be interesting to know ...

Just an update.

I found out that they have a Panel PC HMI and then small industrial PC clients feeding the screens. They only told me this today as this would be cheaper than using multiple HMI's with VGA out to the monitors.

At least I found out !!!

Thanks for all the help guys, guess i'm going to lose this one !!