OT: I can't figure it out.

Operators! Greetings..:)

So there are some Hams here. I believe KC9Ih is a code man from way back. I got my License in the 70's, had to operate a year on code only and got pretty good at it. When copying by ear you hear patterns and learned words and common phrases by the patterns they produce in code. Many operators signed dropping the "e" on DE. When you heard 73, you knew the conversation was over and listened for his/her call then signed your call after. DE is used for Station ID and is used after all communication exchanges. The DE = From comes from the "phone" or SSB operators. Nothing wrong with this but is not really correct. The 1987 ARRL handbook,in the operating procedures chapter on code, DE is refered to as "This is". The RAC website uses both I believe. DE is used on all completed transmisions, including CQ. Code is dead. Soon the code portions of the ham bands will be silent. I have noticed there is very few compared to when I wandered the low end of 20 meters. The sad thing is I'm not sure I'll miss it.

MultiTasking Code

I remember by dad banging out code while driving the car. What about phone patches befor there was Mobile phones. Good thing the Cell Phone Police did not catch him back then.

You are right it is sad to see code go away. Now with no code tests maybe the CB'ers can take over. yikes.

BudMan

Okay now i understand some of what the one security gaurd used to say on the radio, "5 by 5 and tree top tall".

Anyone know what "tree top tall" means. I am assuming it refers to the antenea strung in the tree's?

Drewcrew6

Last edited:
Ham + CB

5 x(by) 5 = Amature (Ham) for Code Readability (1-5 scale) and Signal Strength (1-9 scale).

Tree Top Tall as in Wall to Wall and Tree Top Tall = CB Slang for both Signal Strength and also means a lot (They are stacked up wall to wall and tree top tall). Where Tree Top Tall really comes from I do not know.

BudMan