1746-bas

Jimbeaux

Does anybody know if or how you cna upload from a 1746-BAS module to your computer using Hyperterminal. I need to look at a program that is in a Basic module because we are going to change the type of device it is talking to.

Jimbeaux said:
Does anybody know if or how you cna upload from a 1746-BAS module to your computer using Hyperterminal. I need to look at a program that is in a Basic module because we are going to change the type of device it is talking to.

Well, it's not really an upload, but yes you can get the BASIC program.

What you'll do is to go online with the BAS. After you're connected with Hyperterminal and you have the proper prompt, you can type LIST to list the program.

Once the program is listed you can simply copy/paste it to a document in Word, Notepad, or whatever...

OR you can turn on the capture function of hyperterminal to save your session to a text file.

When you get your program changed, you can do basically the same thing -- open your offline document, then cut/paste it back into the BAS. The only problem I've had doing this is that sometimes it will scramble if I try to do the whole program at once. So, I've learned to do only a few lines at a time.

Wow, a Basic module!! Been a while. Personally I'd go for replacing it with with a Prosoft MVI46-ADM. But sometimes(or is it most of the time?) we don't always get to use what we want.

At any rate I recall having good success downloading entire files using Transfer->Send Text File with Hyperterminal. Seems to avoid the problems with trying to cut/paste entire programs at once.

Use almost 200 of them, but it's been several years since I've loaded a program (or had to fool with it at all). I will have to look at the prosoft module later (not very cost effective to chnage out 200 modules).

The AB instucitons are located here:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1746-in009_-en-p.pdf

and here

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf

or you can look at my cheat sheet that is attached. It's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure that the cheat sheet is 100%. If I remember correctly, I had to modify what I was doing once. Your best bet is to follow the AB instructions (and ignore mine).

Not much help after I thought about what I said.

Jimbeaux,

I echo OZEE's experience with scrambled code. After you print out your listing, you will likely need to change only a few lines of Basic. I recommend just editing the changes at the > prompt one line at a time and then list the program to verify all is OK.

It took us a long time to get Humpty-Dumpty's 150+ lines back together again, character-for character.

CeCo3

The scrambled code can be fixed with setting within hyperterm.

goto file
then properties
then settings
then ascii setup
that will open another window
change Line delay and Character delay to whatever
If i recall i set those to 10 milliseconds

this slow down the transfer so the basic card can handle it

I would just cut and paste to hyperterm, and never had issues doing it this way even with very large progs

be careful if you cut and paste out of hyperterm

• the back buffer is not always large enough on larger progs
    (this was on progs with over about 900 lines)
    Drewcrew6

Pbase

I used Pbase and finally figured out how to download and edit.
well for you to use hyperterm you need to change the dipswith 4 setting on the module to the right pins and horisontal this will make the ports default setting which i beleve is 1200 8 e n i have to check in my manual tomorrow and then you can plug in with hyperterm with the same settings from port 1 and see the program haven't tried it with hyperterm but was able to figure it out if you give me you're e-mail I can forward you some manuals tomorrow in acrobat format.

GGH said:
I used Pbase and finally figured out how to download and edit.
well for you to use hyperterm you need to change the dipswith 4 setting on the module to the right pins and horisontal this will make the ports default setting which i beleve is 1200 8 e n i have to check in my manual tomorrow and then you can plug in with hyperterm with the same settings from port 1 and see the program haven't tried it with hyperterm but was able to figure it out if you give me you're e-mail I can forward you some manuals tomorrow in acrobat format.

Only issue with PBASE,does not run reliably on a Pentium class PC, but was meant to run in a true DOS environment on a 386 or 486 PC

PBase what a load of rubbish, how could AB charge so much for a thing that's not much more use than a terminal emulator.

I purchased a copy of this, un-installed it & threw it in the drawer & went back to hyperterminal.