Can't connect to a SLC 5/04

locotumbler

I am using a US-1747-CP3 cable to try and connecto to a SLC 5/04 (1747-L541)
I am unable to connect at all.
I have attached a pdf of the comms on the program I recieved from the machine mfg.

The issue I am having is I am randomly having the PLC faulting out. Currently the only way I am able to get it to run again is to move the switch from REM to PROG to RUN to REM it clears the fault and continues to run after that.

That picture is not telling you how the serial port for your SCL5/04 is configured.

It shows what driver was used to connect to the SLC the last time someone connected. AB KT-1 driver could be used for the DH+ port or DH485.

The serial port may be configured for DH485, ASCII, Modbus (if supported) or even shut off. Take a look at the offline program if you have it.

See link

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=702918&postcount=9

Last edited:
Sounds like a math overflow is setting. If you do get on line when it faults be sure to "go to fault" and not just clear fault it will help you determine the cause
You can also add an unlach S:5/0 bit on the last rung of program to keep it from faulting if this is the case.
Then you need to find the counter or timer going over 32767
I also see your channel 1 is not set to user

Since it is set up as half duplex slave, you will have to use the DF1 Master Polling driver which is quite a bit more involved to configure than the regular DF1 Full Duplex driver.

You have to configure the polling list, set the port parameters, etc. Somewhere there a thread on the subject by Ken "King of Komms" Roach.

When I've done this, I have basically added the node I want to poll on the "Define Polling Lists" page in the Priority Stations list, and I have also (on the Polling Strategies tab) enabled Allow Messages to stations that are not in the lists, although this is probably something I did when I had no record of the node number for the (micrologix 1000 analog) I was trying to get into. On the Port Configuration tab, pick the COM number of your serial port or adapter, set the baud, stop bits, parity, etc. AFAIK, all the other settings were left at the defaults.

Last edited:
Any chance you have a 1784-U2DHP ? or if you know someone that has one that you can use

I dont have RSLogix on this PC but you if you can check to see roxusa bit is there then that would make sense why you are getting a minor fault and can reset it with the key switch

@geniustraining I do have one of those but i've never used it.
I finally got it connected last friday. I have been busy and haven't had a chance to follow up on this thread with what I found.
I haven't had the fault happen since thursday evening (5/31/2018) If this was a math overlfow problem would it possibly rear its ugly head after the unit has been running since 2004?

so as for connecting. I used the RS-232 port on the bottom (DB9) of the CPU not the round programming connector

Comm Port: Com 3(this is just the com port for my usb to rs-232 adapter)
device: SLC-CH0/micro/PanelView
Baud Rate: 1200
station number: 03
parity: none
error checking: CRC
stop bits: 1
protocol: Half Duplex
just as @Bob O shared in his post.

thank you all for your help on this.

will it still work if the baud rate is set in the plc at 1200 instead of the higher baud rates on the 1784-U2DHP?

Also this is the only SLC5 PLC I have in house. I have other micrologix and controllogix units.

Yes the DH+ is separate from the DF1 so regardless of your DF1 settings the DH+ will work