Communication on ethernet between AB PLC and Siemens PLC

• Thread starter Chandrashekhar_basap
  • Start date

Chandrashekhar_basap

C
I would appreciate if any one could give me some suggestion on the below described topic:

Topic:
I have Allen Bradely Controllogix LM5555 CPU and S7 300 PLC. S7 300 PLC is meant for a specific job i.e for load shedding.AB PLC has got all the data required for load shedding program. I need to send these data from AB PLC to Siemens PLC and the data needs to sent at a very fast rate i.e every 100 millisecs.I would like communicate on ethernet and propose to use AB ethernet card 1756-ENBT and Siemens CP343-IT ethernet card on TCP-IP protocol. I understand that though both the cards adhere to TCP-IP protocols there is a change in the application layer.Is this true. If yes is there a solution for this communication with out compromising on speed. Eagerly waiting for your suggestions.Other solutions with out compromising on speed is also welcome.

East is East and West is West

About the only way you'll get A-B Ethernet to map to Siemens Ethernet extremely fast is to use a hardware protocol bridge. Unfortunately, Prosoft's popular ProLinx doesn't offer Siemens protocol, though it's entirely possible that other types do.

The best way I can think of to perform peer-to-peer interlocking between S7 and ControlLogix is to use SST's Profibus DP module for ControlLogix. That kind of a peer-to-peer interlock will far outrun your speed requirements.

An "OPC Mirror" might also fulfill your technical requirements, but I would not be confident enough in a PC software element to use it for a load shedding application.

Rockwell Automation in Germany has a module that will communicate using Siemens 3964R serial protocol... that might be an alternative to Profibus-DP.

The 343-1-IT is a OPEN TCP module that will accept ANY TCP ASCII packet. It can be configured for UDP,TCP,3964r, PC, H1 (old propriety) protocols. It also has a web page built in. If you use it and FC5 or 50 and FC6 or 60 you can send or receive 240 or 8196 packets of data into or from a DB.
The AB, I think uses a propriorty protocol (IP protocol) to communicate. It's like French and English. I can send you a configuration for the IT module that will accept any ASCII data, all you need is the PORT number from which to send or receive. It will be exstreamly fast (<10ms) at 100mb.
I am not that familiar with the LM5555 CPU. Is it open ASCII, MODBUS or AB's IP protocol and does it have ethernet builtin? As Ken said, we can use an SST 5136PFB profibus card and got to the profibus port.

yes you can do it

Seems like an interesting project, wouldn't mind do it myself.
I kind of disagree with what was said so far.

About the only way you'll get A-B Ethernet to map to Siemens Ethernet extremely fast is to use a hardware protocol bridge. Unfortunately, Prosoft's popular ProLinx doesn't offer Siemens protocol, though it's entirely possible that other types do.

I am not sure what is meant by hardware protocol bridge?
Protocol translation requires fair amount of software no matter what you do.

An "OPC Mirror" might also fulfill your technical requirements, but I would not be confident enough in a PC software element to use it for a load shedding application.

What is an OPC mirror?
Does that mean that you will have a PC loaded with an OPC server for both the 3964R and Ethernet/IP (RSLinx) and somehow you will port the
data from one server to the other?
I guess you could do that if you wanna spend lots of time learning the OPC. It's not easy trust me.
Not being confident enough to use PC software element?
Hell we use PC software element all the time in all kinds of apps.
SoftLogix, critical operator interfaces etc.

Here is what I would do:
Get yourself an industrially hardened PC, perhaps even one of those DIN rail mountable PC's.
Obtain third party Drivers for EtherNet/IP and for 3964R.
These drivers should provide you with an Active X (OCX, DLL) and
unlike OPC servers they will be CHEAP!

Write a small VB program to port data from one processor to the other.
This should not be a big deal, most Active X drivers I have seen are real easy to use. You could look at www.softwaretoolbox.com they
re-sell all kinds of drivers.
Actually the PC software element is a nice touch, it will allow you to write a nice diagnostic program i.e. you should be able to see
if the data is getting through.
Make sure that you use switches instead of hubs to isolate the
Ethernet traffic.

By the way is this a Co-gen application?

Good luck.

Hi,

Can you explain me why are you using two PLCs?

If you have a solution with just one you won't have this comunication problem.