AB and Micrologix 1500. A few questions/issues.

loundeb2

Hi,
I'm new to posting and just have a few questions involving a sheet metal servo feed system i'm building.
First, here are the components:
1-Micrologix 1500BXB w/LRP, two 1769-IQ16 Input modules, one 1769-OW8 Output module.
2-AB Ultra3000 Servo drive with AB F-4075 servo motor with AB cabling.
3-Automation Direct heavy duty 2000ppr push/pull encoder.

Question 1:
I want to use the PTO output of the Micrologix to pulse the Ultra3000. What is the best way of converting the pulsed 24VDC PTO output to match the necessary input signal for the Ultra drive?
Question 2:
I want to use the encoder with the Micrologix HSC OMB to directly control O:0/4 on the base unit, but I need to know what number to put in the OMB register in the HSC function file. I think it's 10. Is this correct?
Question 3:
All the components are brand new from the retailer, however, the LED's on the slot 2 input module do not light up when forced on through logic in any mode. I've swapped input modules between slot 1 and 2, but have the same issue. Input 1 and Ouput 3 are fine. Slot 2 only lights when a device wired to it is closed. Also, output O:0/1 on the base unit doesn't work in logic, but can be forced on. Is it common for these PLC's to have these issues or is it something else?

Thank you for your input,
Lou

Question 3:
All the components are brand new from the retailer, however, the LED's on the slot 2 input module do not light up when forced on through logic in any mode. I've swapped input modules between slot 1 and 2, but have the same issue. Input 1 and Ouput 3 are fine. Slot 2 only lights when a device wired to it is closed. Also, output O:0/1 on the base unit doesn't work in logic, but can be forced on. Is it common for these PLC's to have these issues or is it something else?
The lights on the input module only come on if the external device is applying power. What you are 'forcing' is the internal logical state which represents that input. When you force an output you also are forcing an internal state but then, if the PLC is in run mode, that internal state is applied to the physical output card which then turns on the light. OK?

To help on this understanding (sorry I can't help with the other aspects of your application) view the introductory videos featuring Ron Beaufort's training. Be sure to watch all of them in order.

Last edited:
Question 1:
I want to use the PTO output of the Micrologix to pulse the Ultra3000. What is the best way of converting the pulsed 24VDC PTO output to match the necessary input signal for the Ultra drive?
I used a Calex 8502
http://www.calex.com/pdf/8501_02.pdf

It can handle up to 20 kHz pulse frequency. Your typical SSR from Crouzet and others can only handle 5 kHz.

Dunno how far you are committed on the hardware but the Micrologix 1500 does not have online edits. To me it would be worth switching to another cpu.

Thank you for your replies. I think I now have a better understanding of the inner workings of the PLC and what to do about interfacing the 1500 PTO to the Ultra3000. I will be using ethernet capable devices in future projects, but I'm currently limited to using what is immediately available.
Any ideas on question 2? I'm not very "formula savvy" when it comes to converting decimal, hex, binary, etc.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,
I received the calex 8502 on Friday and will try it on Monday. What I would like to know is what considerations should I take to get the drive to respond to the pulses. EX: Configuration settings, board jumpers, etc.
Thank You, Lou