Starting with 1756-IF16 (how to wire)

ipina90

Hello,
Im starting to program an 1756-L71 with the 1756-IF16 module.
Is the first time that i have to program a plc so im a begginer.

I have to calibrate the channels one at time using the RSLogix 5000 and im confused how to wire it to do this.

So, is the attached file correct? With every i-RTN's and RTN's to GND and INX's to 0 - 10 V.

I know that the LOW reference is 0V and the High reference is 10V with a 0 to 10.25 V source.

Also, i have to use the single-ended current configuration because i need the 16 channels for 4 - 20 mA devices, i have to use the same configuration that i attached but changing the 0 - 10 V source by every device connected or the configuration is different?

Thx.

1756-IF16.jpg

You don't need to "calibrate" the channels. You only need to "configure" them. There is a difference.

If you're using the single ended configuration for access to 16 channels at 4-20 mA, then you need to tie all of the "i RTN" points to at least one of the "RTN" points. The "RTN" points are all internally connected to one another. That will become the common for all of your analog inputs. The positive side of each analog input will connect to "IN-0" through "IN-15".

Much easier to wire this card to a terminal board than to attempt to connect directly to the module.

Last edited:
I need to calibrate it cuz one of the channels has an error status (Im not the first in use this module).

I read the manual and is something that can be fixed, but im confused about how to wire the module to make the calibration.

Channels calibration.JPG

I see. That's why I warned against doing a calibration.

You may only calibrate IF-8 and IF-16 modules with a voltage source.

Connect the positive of your voltage source to "IN-x" and the negative to "RTN".